Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

Beautiful work! A real masterpiece.

I just bought 4 different Hudson Miniatures today on ebay... I hope mine come out looking as nice.

these Hudsons need tons of creativity- But you are just the guy to build them!!!!!

:blink: WOW.............now I do not feel so bad for the small bundle dropped for this kit. I suppose it's time to start acquiring parts. I do have a question, noticed a detail in the drawings, looks like some type of handle @ front end of vehicle at upper edge of hood? Do you know what be this? :huh:

What is the item number from Micro-mark for chain/sprocket. Your thread will be looked @ many, many times for this project.

Rick

PS: I too can not wait to see what Harry does w/one of these Hudson Miniatures! Noticed, he teased by not saying what ones he had bought. There was a really good deal on a double set for $30.00 free ship, I bought one set and 2 were left........that would have made 4 kits in the deal.........could these be the ones?

:blink: WOW.............now I do not feel so bad for the small bundle dropped for this kit. I suppose it's time to start acquiring parts. I do have a question, noticed a detail in the drawings, looks like some type of handle @ front end of vehicle at upper edge of hood? Do you know what be this? :huh:

What is the item number from Micro-mark for chain/sprocket. Your thread will be looked @ many, many times for this project.

Rick

PS: I too can not wait to see what Harry does w/one of these Hudson Miniatures! Noticed, he teased by not saying what ones he had bought. There was a really good deal on a double set for $30.00 free ship, I bought one set and 2 were left........that would have made 4 kits in the deal.........could these be the ones?

that might be the crank if its a view from the top of car on the plans.... the chain sprockets I used are #84789 and #84790 -2 each from the micromarktrains part of catalog- the chain is #84791 -sold by the foot.

the Hudson kits are going for good prices now-I have bought old 16 for 20 dollars and up- but be careful as the most recent one I got had a Mercer and Stutz parts instead of old 16.

Edited by f1ford48

1900 Packard

1903 Cadillac

1914 Regal

1906 Columbia Electric

:D Oh yea, all are cool cars, I also have the Caddy and the Regal...........the Packard is not in my collection, but a beautiful piece of work........but the jewel too me is the 1906 Columbia Electric..........watch out Harry, these little kits get addictive.

Rick B)

erez_zps9d0e8d2f.jpgHeres a Hudson Miniatures OLD 16 that Tony Koveleski built. it sold at one of the Monterey auctions awhile back.

this is more how the car looked back in its day-radiator shell painted and white tires.

Edited by f1ford48

Brings a tear to my ole eye............you gotta love this Old Girl, no matter what the kit. When you open the HM's box and see what looks like so few parts as compaired to the others, this just shows what you get when built. Would it not be insane for some kit mfg to produce one in 1/8th scale.....then again maybe not! The cost would be as much as for a used car @ todays inflation.

One can dream right.

But, this does show what can be done w/a Hudson Miniatures kit. Two fine examples now posted here of a "Old 16", from same kit.

Will give you a heads up, if and thats a if you do run across a Hudson Miniatures kit of this car, be prepaired to hand over some green. I am not sure, but I believe this is the rarest of the kits to find right now and they command a high price tag.

I paid $109.00 for mine. :(

Rick

Brings a tear to my ole eye............you gotta love this Old Girl, no matter what the kit. When you open the HM's box and see what looks like so few parts as compaired to the others, this just shows what you get when built. Would it not be insane for some kit mfg to produce one in 1/8th scale.....then again maybe not! The cost would be as much as for a used car @ todays inflation.

One can dream right.

But, this does show what can be done w/a Hudson Miniatures kit. Two fine examples now posted here of a "Old 16", from same kit.

Will give you a heads up, if and thats a if you do run across a Hudson Miniatures kit of this car, be prepaired to hand over some green. I am not sure, but I believe this is the rarest of the kits to find right now and they command a high price tag.

Rick

One can dream right.

Rick

Would it be possible to enlarge the Hudson templates and plans, add some Pocher Fiat parts, and make a 1/8 version?

I thought about this, but was also concerned about copy right............I once got into some hot water over a certain control liner I did from a set of scaled up plans, kinda has me gun shy about such nowdays.

But, yes is for sure doable. Now you got me thinking, dang you Skip <_<

Rick B)

Oh yea, you in there to Frank!

Edited by Pocherphile

As an advertising agency executive, I can assure you that there is no issue regarding making copies for your own personal use. Just don't sell the copies.

Now you went and done it.........I do have a set of tires left from the Pocher FIAT, now will keep a eye on eBay for a set of wheels, the rest...........hand made, should make for a interesting scratch build down the road. As a matter of fact, not too long ago I had a fella wanting to sell me a FIAT frame, now where did I put that phone#.

Rick

To me, the biggest challenge in upsizing a kit like this is dealing with wheels and rubber tires. However, I think guys who are into this large-scale stuff don't really care about exact scale, they just want them big. So Fiat wheels and tires may not be exactly to scale with the Locomobile, so I'd adjust the upsized scale to what the requirements of the tires/wheels may be. Bburago did this with the diecasts and kits they made of their classic series (I think so they could use the same wire wheels for different kits and pre-built diecasts). For example, the Bburago Bugatti T59 is not really the advertised 1:18 scale, it's closer to 1:15 if you look at the 1:1 specs. (And typical wire wheels aren't even accurate to the T59; they all had piano wire wheels that don't have intersecting spokes. Fortunately, there is a source for beautiful piano wire wheels made specifically for the Bburago T59.)

Edited by sjordan2

I detailed out one of those Bburagos long ago- and yes the wheels were a dissappointment. [to the particular car] I copied my car from the one in Ralph Steins book-THE GREAT CARS.

the Bburago wires were about the best when they first hit the market-I bought an SSKL in 1983 -it was the first 1/18 diecast I had seen.

I detailed out one of those Bburagos long ago- and yes the wheels were a dissappointment. [to the particular car] I copied my car from the one in Ralph Steins book-THE GREAT CARS.

the Bburago wires were about the best when they first hit the market-I bought an SSKL in 1983 -it was the first 1/18 diecast I had seen.

The Stein book is still one of the most influential sources in my files and was all I had to go on when I built my 1/12 Bentley in 1973. It also includes photos of the Rodney Clarke road version of the Bugatti T59 as produced by Bburago with fenders, but now restored to its original Grand Prix version without fenders.

Sideleft.png

I have harvested many parts from the Bburago SSKL for my 1/16 Academy/Minicraft/Revell 1928 Mercedes SS Kabriolet, which I'm working on turning into the 1933 Sindelfingen version. Anyone who wants info on that one, I will be happy to send you my large files on CD.

Edited by sjordan2

GOOD GOD- I thought it was the real thing!!!!!! from the book-no kidding. then I realized the size of the leaves. that is Exceptional work.

I think I just came to the conclusion that you are a better builder then I. truly the best 1/12 LeMans Bentley I have ever seen.and SPOT ON !

a fellow showed one out here at the NNL 2 or 3 years ago that was superb however it was not as ''correct'' as this one- I will see if I can dig up those images...... INCREDIBLE WORK SKIP!!!!!! BRAVO

Edited by f1ford48

a fellow showed one out here at the NNL 2 or 3 years ago that was superb however it was over-done in my opinion. I will see if I can dig up those images...... INCREDIBLE WORK SKIP!!!!!! BRAVO

Probably John Teresi's Bentley.

I'm not sure how I missed this one, only glad I found it this morning, I love these old timers and you did such a great job building it, words aren't enough ...

Thank You Geoff. It looks like there are just a ''handful'' of us guys here that appreciate these cars. I enjoy ''keeping them alive''