Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

Prime coat on.................finally!!

9e385163-c98f-4266-aaa3-37aca39de64c_zps

and a little pre-shading to go with that!!

d9483bcc-b4b4-4171-a2bf-870d21ab20a1_zps

Now this here next is what kicked my tail (no pun intended) for a while. The rudder to tail fit due to all the stuff that's inside of the tail. Starting pics are scary............

165f6bfb-fb51-4024-8ebc-a433b7ed1f44_zps

and the next one is after about an hour and a half of sanding, re-fitting and tidying up...........

c7c10c40-00b6-4067-b210-d2260a1d7c5e_zps

Not ALL the way that I like it but dramatically better! Good ol' AM stuff sometimes.......................

Edited by mustang1989

Oh don't you just hate it when you get all the way to this point and find something like that? There's a lot to be said for AM parts, but you have to weigh the benefits against the detriments.

Good save on the tail.

I added another horizontal bar to the back of the rack. I also found quite a few pics that show the majority of these did carry the jack on the fender instead of water cans.

Stay tuned!

G

After a marathon painting session the base colors are on!

In primer.

DSCF4816_zps3c44096d.jpg

DSCF4817_zps4e269804.jpg

I began by using the mixes I prepared a week ago. These were MM Acryl colors that closely matched what I know to be the actual colors. Nothing worked. The paint gummed up in the AB, and wouldn't spray until thinned beyond use. I used MM Acryl thinner and the AB was clean as a whistle having been run through the ultrasonic cleaner a month ago. D*&n.

Plan B, break out the Tamiya acrylics and mix on the fly. Base color is Tamiya Buff, Deck Tan, Flesh and White.

DSCF4821_zps1cff602f.jpg

DSCF4822_zpse5b046cd.jpg

DSCF4819_zpse72788ef.jpg

I added a drop of white and panel faded the entire tank. It doesn't show well but it's there. I don't pre or post shade when doing a desert tank.

The second color was made by adding a drop of Khaki to the original mix. The real colors were close in tone and some paints depict them as nearly identical. Photos reveal a bit more contrast so I went with that.

DSCF4823_zps794da6a4.jpg

DSCF4824_zpsdc18736a.jpg

DSCF4826_zps2b2c222b.jpg

Tracks were painted a mix of Tamiya Red Brown and Gunmetal.

DSCF4828_zps1c53959e.jpg

Spare links were sprayed with the above mixture plus Nato Black. I went dark on these for a reason.

DSCF4829_zpsec1e1c8a.jpg

G

You know Wayne I have the same problem with MM acrylics clogging up the AB. Sometimes I'll cut it with 70% ISO and that helps out alot but its just something with that brand of paint. I'm constantly cleaning the AB but I guess that's the price I pay to be able to paint indoors in the A/C. LOL

It felt good to actually put color on this thing finally. I'm using Vallejo Air acrylics and those DO NOT clog up the AB like MM does , thank God! Here she is so far:

0a7c9050-ef45-45fa-a094-9a01093810f0_zps

and to the sides:

d5afc6d7-ca7f-4b4d-b76f-5e54c47420e6_zps

if anybody is wondering about the ridiculously large gun barrels in the wing, that's electrical heat shrink that I masked the metal gun barrels off with. lol

I'm waiting for some aftermarket decals then after they are applied I will begin the weathering. Meanwhile I'm working on stowage items. I found 8 jerry cans which would be used for gasoline. You see stacks of these on the tanks when on the march. Water cans are similar and had white crosses painted on them. I will build those next.

DSCF4830_zps7b7e6c8a.jpg

DSCF4833_zpsd3a3d1af.jpg

DSCF4834_zpsba61b82c.jpg

I have a ton of stuff that I will use for bedrolls and various bits and bobs of stowage. It's soaking in Blechewhite before I can begin painting.

Also, I finished the display base for the Befehlspanzer.

DSCF4838_zps840bf25e.jpg

DSCF4837_zps06ed3117.jpg

G

Looking good Wayne.

I've got a small update; been busy, dropped the hull the other day :(, had to rebuild it :angry:, trying to keep up my exercise program (lost 61lbs so far, 7 to go), stayed home sick today (stomach flu), so here's a few pic's. Got the hull/deck/cargo well glued for good, mocked up the door, painted some more bits/pieces. This is going to be an unarmed version, so I drilled out the gun mound bases, and added some resin cast deck access plates from Harbor Models. I'm not going to use the armored pilothouse either, just the instrument dash/helm, so I added a piece of styrene to the back side, so it can stand alone. More to come.

Mark

post-11457-0-24497600-1394477584_thumb.j

post-11457-0-95592700-1394477596_thumb.j

post-11457-0-53328200-1394477605_thumb.j

post-11457-0-92138400-1394477613_thumb.j

post-11457-0-20113200-1394477622_thumb.j

post-11457-0-97209100-1394477631_thumb.j

I'm waiting for some aftermarket decals then after they are applied I will begin the weathering. Meanwhile I'm working on stowage items. I found 8 jerry cans which would be used for gasoline. You see stacks of these on the tanks when on the march. Water cans are similar and had white crosses painted on them. I will build those next.

DSCF4830_zps7b7e6c8a.jpg

DSCF4833_zpsd3a3d1af.jpg

DSCF4834_zpsba61b82c.jpg

I have a ton of stuff that I will use for bedrolls and various bits and bobs of stowage. It's soaking in Blechewhite before I can begin painting.

Also, I finished the display base for the Befehlspanzer.

DSCF4838_zps840bf25e.jpg

DSCF4837_zps06ed3117.jpg

G

Sorry if I missed it but what did you use for your ground work ? I used to use Celuclay.

DAS air drying modelling clay. It's just as light as Celluclay and in my mind easier to work with. It won't shrink or warp, the upturned edge is my fault.

It is very absorbent so I like to use acrylic paint. It helps with the color modulation.

G

Mark: Good recovery on the drop man! Whew! I'm in a group build on another site and a guy dropped his plane after having the fuselage together. I'll say it here like it was said there, "Better to happen at this stage in the game". Like the build and progress.

Wayne:What can I say? Your work is astounding down to the base. Can't wait to see this and more builds here and abroad!

A little bit more progress here. I applied the border with the AB needle barely open at all and with the air pressure at around 30 psi. Using acrylics required constant cleaning of the tip throughout but overall I'm happy with the results. The "hump" in the middle of the paint is for the Gruppe numeral that will have a slight oversprayed condition. Stay tuned and I'll get to that.

Paintingfuselagealmostthere002_zpsa5a240

and the yellow tail that's prevelant on Staffel leaders birds. Will be fine tuning all of this down the road but this is where its at.

Paintingfuselagealmostthere2_zpsee2ecef2

Thanks Wayne!! At first the colors were kind of gross to me but they ended up growing on me. As far as the acrylic paints go I've gotten used to the downside of using them but the upside is that I get to paint indoors in the comfort of the spare room and the A/C.

Amen to that brother!

A quick recap of the color scheme that I'll be going with here. It's gonna be "Black 10" of JG26 as it was just before capture in May 1945.

12038326-b80b-49ef-9286-9038a0f65627_zps

For some reason the greens aren't quite as bright and colorful in these photos out of Jerry Crandalls book! Anyways...on to where we are now..........

Managed to get the Defense of the Reich bands, a gloss and decals for this photo. She's starting to take shape as a plane I think!!!

d3bc4b7b-db19-4124-8d67-51fd1aa06e3c_zps

Looking great!

I stayed home sick yesterday and started the Panzer III E command tank. Nothing much to show yet, just wheels and the lower hull. It'll be a couple more weeks for my decals to arrive so I am patiently waiting to start the weathering on the PzIIIL.

G

Man you've definitely found your nitch in armor building Wayne. I'm looking forward to more of that build.

Got the elevators painted which almost turned into a boo boo. I had marked the camo demarcation lines with a pencil on the already primed surface which initially I thought was a good idea until I painted the elevators. After I thought I was done I took a closer look and saw the drawn lines through my "finish coat" of paint. Sheesh!! Out the AB comes again and I finished it off! That would have been cool to overlook that and see it AFTER I had finished the whole thing! Any how here's a pic of the elevators:

7855a7f8-a930-4ee4-aefe-9affd72673c5_zps

and now to what I consider to be a cool part of the build. The first pic is after I had applied all decals onto the main fuselage/ wing assy BEFORE the flat/ sunbleached coat.

d3bc4b7b-db19-4124-8d67-51fd1aa06e3c_zps

This is the AFTER pic with the wash and all flat coat/ sunbleaching coats applied:

03bcc164-6b8c-46a1-a103-27d6e91bc103_zps

Whadda difference that makes. The crudely field oversray on the Gruppe numeral on the fuselage is clearly visible in the pic as well. Now we are off to other stuff like the bottomside bare metal surfaces and landing gear fellas................

Edited by mustang1989

Attention to detail, that's what makes it.

I took a few more pictures today.

Painted some water cans for the Pz III L.

DSCF4843_zps1fe78f60.jpg

DSCF4842_zps2a9fc83b.jpg

I used a piece of sponge to paint the white crosses.

Painted some stowage items as well. I obtained these items from Value Gear at an IPMS show in Phoenix. This is good stuff and very reasonably priced too.

DSCF4844_zps44f63410.jpg

Here's where I'm at with the Pz III E command tank.

DSCF4845_zpse5a06cd8.jpg

DSCF4849_zpsb123a403.jpg

The first tanks shipped to Tripoli from Naples had lengths of track hung all over them as replacements. Spare tires so to speak. It wasn't untill later on when Allied guns became more dangerous the track links also became added protection.

DSCF4847_zps5bdb8695.jpg

DSCF4848_zps61f71dc0.jpg

I formed this set from aftermarket spares I had lying around unremembered for years.The pins are temporary, I will construct accurate ones soon.

G

Here's what I'm working from for the Panzerbefehlswagen III E. This is an H model but the turret hull and antenna are the same only the width of the tracks and rear idler wheel are different.

I got the diagram from the internet and thus don't know who to credit.

pziiie_zps26962ab4.jpg

I have made molds and resin cast spare antenna bases, vision ports and the big armored bolts that hold it all together.

G