Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the best model kit you ever got for Christmas?

My best ever...

I believe it was 1975. Don Garlits front engine dragster. "Wynns Jammer"

Wish I could find a photo of the box art.

All the body panels were clear. If I remember, the oil pan was clear as well and the crank shaft was a separate piece glued to the bottom of the engine so it was visible. Also that was my first kit that had a real rubber blower belt.

I was so careful putting it together that I actually got the crankshaft to turn in the engine. Not that it mattered, later when the blower belt went on because none of the rest of the pulleys turned. But I knew that I made it happen.

A purely magical day..

Greg:

Thank you so much for the images. Mine was the 4th down from the top. I believe that was rhe first boxing since i probably goy it in '58 or '59.

Thanks again,

Joe.

Ditto - Really enjoyed the photos of the 1/32 F-51 Mustang kits. I first got acquainted with it in the 70s (the blue box). Awesome kit, with a bunch of working features, including a bomb release.

Really fun thread........

I too received the 1/32 scale P 51 one year for Christmas. I had the first one, non see thru.

Do I recall correctly is this the one with the little turn screw under the tale which made the landing gear retract?

My fave though was the "Mako Shark", the one with the turntable.

G

I too received the 1/32 scale P 51 one year for Christmas. I had the first one, non see thru.

Do I recall correctly is this the one with the little turn screw under the tale which made the landing gear retract?

My fave though was the "Mako Shark", the one with the turntable.

G

Yup, that's the one. The "turn screw" was actually located midways under the wings. Turning the little knob would either extend or retract the landing gear. A little "toggle" lever on either side of that knob would release a bomb attached to the wing. I was absolutely fascinated by this as a kid (until I discovered Monogram's 1/32 "Gulfhawk", which had an even more ingenious landing gear mechanism).

BTW, I think it was the MPC "Tiger Shark" (or originally the "Car Draft Dream Rod") that had the turntable.....

That's right, the knob was under the wings and the bombs had little hooked tabs that held them on. I recall on the Gulfhawk you had to pull the prop forward and rotate it to engage the gears to retract the landing gear. As I remember it was beyond my skill level and I glued everything. :o

Mako, Tiger, I can't remember. I just recall it was a good fun kit and I loved the turntable. ;)

G