Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Gorilla Super glue the sames as CA?

I wouldn't chance it. Back when I tried regular Gorilla Glue to remount a soap dish in my tub tile. I didn't know the stuff expanded as it dried and I later had to chisel off this ceramic soap dish that had bulged out and twisted. It was glued there real good though!

If you're looking for cheap CA, try Michaels. They sell Zap-A-Gap, which I prefer as a CA since it has some substance to it. Using a 40 or 50% off coupon it's like $2-3.00 and that's cheap enuf for me!

It could be CA. Gorilla glue has several different glues under their brand name, including white glue, in addition to their original polyurethane glue. If it doesn't say CA on the label, tho, maybe not...???

Oops, Ed beat me to it. What he said.

Edited by Kit Basher

I wouldn't chance it. Back when I tried regular Gorilla Glue to remount a soap dish in my tub tile. I didn't know the stuff expanded as it dried and I later had to chisel off this ceramic soap dish that had bulged out and twisted. It was glued there real good though!

If you're looking for cheap CA, try Michaels. They sell Zap-A-Gap, which I prefer as a CA since it has some substance to it. Using a 40 or 50% off coupon it's like $2-3.00 and that's cheap enuf for me!

Thanks for everyone's response. I think I'll take it back to the Grocery store since it doesn't says "CA" on it.

This is from the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product. It is CA. That said, all CA isn't equal, and most of the over the counter stuff isn't as good for modeling as the generic CA from hobby shops or on-line.

Product name: Gorilla Super Glue

Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

Distributor: The Gorilla Glue Company

4550 Red Bank Expressway

Cincinnati, OH 45227

Tel: (513) 271-3300

Fax: (513) 527-3742

This is from the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product. It is CA. That said, all CA isn't equal, and most of the over the counter stuff isn't as good for modeling as the generic CA from hobby shops or on-line.

Product name: Gorilla Super Glue

Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive

Distributor: The Gorilla Glue Company

4550 Red Bank Expressway

Cincinnati, OH 45227

Tel: (513) 271-3300

Fax: (513) 527-3742

Mine says it is Polyurethane Adhesive not CA so I must have a different product.

Mine says it is Polyurethane Adhesive not CA so I must have a different product.

Yep. The Super Glue from Gorilla Glue says it on the package and tube. They also sell a poyurethane waterproof glue that needs one side wet to set and does expand. That one is NOT good for modeling and it sounds like that is what you got.

I use their super glue for assembly and it works well. The package I get has two small tubes. One tube is good for a model as it thickens over time.

4GZK5_AS02.JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I have had good results with their CA glue. I purchased a .053 ounce bottle several years ago Michaels for a few dollars with 40% coupon. The nice thing about the plastic bottle is I can take the lid off and dip a toothpick or such. It's less waste, no clogged tips, and no dried out half used tubes I have used it dozens of times over the years and still have a half bottle left. I wouldn't be scared of it but as pointed out make sure it's CA.