Model Cars Magazine Forum

dremel tool

I have an old dremel minimite (so old it used Ni-Cads) that the battery pack failed on, so I got a 5v wall pack and converted it to a corded unit.

It still works great and it's smaller that a regular sized dremel.

Not really sure what they have done to their line. I have one of the first Lithium Ion units and it works great. I like the fact that I can slow it way down. It looks like they have set the new lineup to start at 5000 rpm. Often I use a much lower speed, especially when polishing paint. Change is not necessarily for the better.

you POLISH PAINT with a dremel? man you are one brave dude, either that or you put a lot of paint on there!

jb

Nope to both. I've just developed some techniques that work. That is why I like the slow speed of my Dremel. I started doing it when I had several 1:12 scale cars to do and I needed to be able to do the job quicker. I use a fine polishing compound, slow speed and keep the surface wet, move quickly and don't pause in one spot. With a little practice it works very well and you get a better shine than you can get by hand. ^_^