Model Cars Magazine Forum

primer not adhereing to body

sorry if this has been covered but I couldnt find it. Now 1st off I sand the body with 800 to remove any mold lines defects etc, then wash in reasonably hot water with a little bit dish wash in it and rub over with a scouring pad (only used for my cars), let air dry. Next day usually prime with 1:1 automotive primer shot through airbrush at about 25/30 psi 6- 8 inches away. Light coats, start on one side then front, top, other side back then repeat with a slightly heavier coat. Allow to dry about 10 hrs then wetsand with 1500 dry with tack rag , then apply color coats exactly the same way with a 3rd wetcoat. Again this is all lacquer based, let dry about 18 hrs wet sand with 2000 then clear 1 medium straight into 1 wetcoat. The problem arises when I mask off for a second color eg a stripe or even when I'm applying foil (BMF) , Its enough to lift paint in places. It's been a bit of an ongoing problem but definitely worse recently.

Not sure about this one,,you have alot more steps in your paint process than I do,,Ill remove flashing,pin nubs ect and sand body w 3 different grit papers,,clean with warm water/light dishsoap,,and blow dry with compressed air,,let dry for a couple hrs. Then prime w/rattle can Flt Blk most of the time,,sand with light paper,,paint again if needed{most of the time,,if i did a good job applying on the1st coat,,I leave it at that. { retains more crisp edges badge detail,trim around windows ect. } and let dry for 2 hrs or so,,then lightly blow off again,,and shoot 1 light coat of rattlecan color of choice,,let dry for 4-8 hrs,,do a "dust check" { look it over in the reflections of different light to find little specks of dust that may have landed on it} and if its cool,,shoot another coat ect. Then a clear coat a few days later if needed,let dry!

Sounds like your doing a thorough paint prep there Brett. I'm wondering though if the Waikato water may be leaving a residue ?

I do all the steps your doing but after I've washed the body and let it dry I always give it a wipe over with a rag and Fuelite.

I do this even between coats if I have sanded or handled the body in any way.

Fuelite is just a fast drying no residue degreaser widely available locally at the likes of mitre10.

The likes of Repco/ Supercheap Auto could sell you a prep wash, wax & grease remover that would do the same thing but cost a lot more.

The only thing I can suggest is to follow Ron's suggestion and wash all your parts before sanding. If your parts have any of the common contamination issues such as mold release or oil from your hands from handling, sanding before washing may serve to imbed that contamination into the plastic. Washing may not be adequate to eliminate all of the contamination.