Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

World Of Wheels

World Of Wheels is coming to many of the cities we live in and one thing that has gone away is the model contest. This was the one contest that many of us went to before we started doing NNLs and other events not connected to a car show. Through much digging around and detective work I find the main reason is venues do not want to part with those free Sunday passes allowing the models top be picked up. Bottom line, they ain't making the money off the second admission. Rumor has it that the pinstripe for charities is going to go away soon as well because those artists have been getting free admission for the weekend. Some venues have them pay for the first day but they get passes for the rest. I live in an area where I can see all the cars I want during show season here for free. That said, if it wasn't for my presence to be there because of our car clubs display, I would not go. In our venue, the house electrician is the only one who can plug in your lights and other rigs if you need it. Tnhe food is vended by the same people who sell food at our sports stadiums and is often way over priced....but the get it staffed by volunteers who work for free from some local organization for a small cut to the charity they represent. Then the property also gets a parking fee as well at $5 a car...add $16 per person entry and maybe $8 for hot dog, $5 for soda, maybe a side at $5 on top of that. If you are there all day for the whole weekend it adds up. Our particular venue is on State Fair property but the building is owned by a private firm and they make us bend over and like it. With experience in putting on shows, I know how expensive it is, but we don't rape our venders and we don't charge a third of what they charge for spectator admissions plus our food is at decent costs like maybe about $7 for the Friday fish fry with all the fixin's and our corn on the cob is free.

Admission prices to "off season" car shows can be expensive. There's one coming up by us next month and I haven't decided if I am going or not. At the same location last fall was the Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals which is an excellent show, but the admission was $25 which is pricey. Of course if you buy your tickets online one could get a $5 discount. The food is great as we go to Hooters located not to far away, before going to the show so that we're not hungry for that overpriced BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that they call food, at the show itself. It's entertainment and that can be expensive. When the car shows and cruise nights are open during the summer months, most shows that I've attended were free to the spectators.

The Milwaukee show probably won't be around much longer due to the high price/low value of it. And $20+ to see mostly the same cars EVERY year....no thanks. There's really no incentive to go anymore anyway....especially with no model show/contest. I always stopped to look and admire the work of other builders. I even entered a couple models one of the last years the contest was held and walked away with a third place in my category/age group(factory stock/adult). It's the ribbon in the middle(the plaques are from a couple of MOPAR shows). It's too bad though as I used to look forward to the Milwaukee show every year.

post-9116-0-19882600-1391985790_thumb.jp

World of wheels was this weekend in Indy, about 30 miles from where I set. Two years ago it cost me $17 to get in, and I haven't been back.

I went to this event the last two years and found pretty much the same cars on display, so decided to skip a year. There were discounts offered at Oreillys auto parts stores, saving about $5 at the door. A model car show was put on by one guy from Cinnanatti. Also one vender selling plastic models and diecast. Kind of pitiful really when you consider the big model show and vendor area put on by a local club a few years back. I wish they would come back.

World of wheels was this weekend in Indy, about 30 miles from where I set. Two years ago it cost me $17 to get in, and I haven't been back.

I know what you mean. I haven't been since the 80's.

Nothing I really want to see anyway. Cars with chrome brake rotors?...c'mon..

Detroit's Autorama is coming in 4 weeks.The admission and the food there is high but since I judge at the model contest I get a two day pass to enter and I've found a way around the high cost food. ;) Plus I get to see all the fine contest builds close and in detail.

No World of Wheels shows for about ten years in the Washington DC area. A club started a car show in late February at the DC armory five years ago and it's slowly getting attention but no where near the crowds I remember back in the 1970's. I'm entering my full size Cobra and there isn't a model contest but it should be fun as I have not showed a car there since the early 1990's.

I'm from Buffalo where we have the Buffalo Motorama, which is usually a good time with a fair price. I went to the Pittsburgh WoW a couple weekends ago when visiting family there. $5 to park, $16 a person to get in. I have to admit though, in mid-winter, I had no problem dropping 16 bucks for an afternoon of entertainment to see some very cool cars (and some not so cool). The drag car section was phenomenal IMO, with the Pandemonium Nitro '65 Barracuda being awesome to see. It also helped having Pittsburgh Raceway Park there with a display. Also, Jeff Lutz was there with his cars. which was WAY cool.

On the other hand, there were a number of things I did not like. One of which being the vast amount of dead space in the venue, as well as some seemingly poor quality entries. And a model show would have been awesome and I would have tried to bring something to enter if there was one. But, bottom line though, we had a great time, got our money worth, and helped get us through another week of this painful winter.

Moparfan1, thanks for the comment. Don't be so down on what you percieve to be poor quality entries. These shows often have a certain amount of local cars in the arena to fill space. For every celebrity car like a batmobile that the WOW pays to have displayed, the show needs x amount of locals to pay entry fees. These might be from local clubs who are invited at their own expense to have cars in the show and perhaps compete for the local trophies (which the clubs also pay for in extra judged fees)

Lordairgtar, I completely understand what you are saying and I should clarify. I guess what I meant was there were a few cars that me personally had no interest in, but I would be the first guy to say that at a show like that, there should be something for everyone. So, what didn't peak my interest, I am sure there were many people who enjoyed seeing those vehicles (i.e lifted trucks, straight off the showroom floor vehicles). By poor quality entries, I was referring to only a couple, which were cool builds, but were dirty and just did not seem acceptable. If I worked that hard to get my car to an indoor show in a snowstorm, I would take the time to clean it and make sure everything was show ready when I got inside the venue. So, the cars weren't necessarily poor quality, but the entry/presentation in the show was.

There was actually what seemed to be several clubs present, and it was cool to see how each club had it's own unique style since the clubs were in a section together. It was nice to see all different cars for once, going to the same shows in Buffalo every year it's the same faces and many of the same cars. A short drive to Pittsburgh let us see completely different entries as well as talk to some new people.

And even though it was $16 a person, there were many people walking around the show. which was great to see a high level of interest. In this day and age, many things that are hot rod or racing related are on their "last leg" as more and more people don't support them. Pretty soon, we will be asking where did all the car shows go, or where have all the dragstrips gone as they continue to close.

Edited by moparfan1

OK, I understand what you were getting at, Moparfan1. Thanks again. I'm getting ready for the show with my table and chairs and the flyers and forms I need. I have to be there all three days plus Thursday load in. That is 96 bux for two people and the 15 bux it will cost me to park. $111 before food costs are figured in. Luckily I can come and go and use local restaurants in the area. Hopefully we are seeing a warm up with 43 degrees on Thursday.

43 degrees!! That would be awesome right now! We have been hoping to get into the 30's for the past few weeks LOL. That is going to be an expensive weekend for you unfortunately. I guess as a spectator it may be worth the price of admission, but to have to pay to represent your club, which is supporting the show, seems unfair. Hopefully you can enjoy it though and get to hang out with some fellow car-guys. That is what it's all about!