Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Newest '60s Style Street Gasser - Fini !

Moon Pie

Great job Moon Pie. I like the conversion of the front end you did. The car looks great, and I for one remember "Ghoulardi". Great show every Friday night on channel 8. Where did you get the picture of him and what did you do to get the picture on the car? I have an idea to do something similar. Turn Blue, you Purple Knif, and kool it with the Boom-Booms. LOL. Great guy. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Clean build and nice graphics.

How hard was it to graft the 57 nose to the 55 body ?

Got any engine pics or is it curbside ?

It's pretty much curbside, it does have a 327 in in but not detailed, these were actually the left-overs from my orginial build:

55-56-57.jpg

My '55-56-57.

But, basically, I measure where my cuts would be on both the 55 and 57 bodies as not to affect the wheel base, and the radius at the windshield so they would line up.

Frank%20cut.jpg

Frank's Cut.

The cut was between .080 and .100 parallel to the front door lines. After the cuts were completed, I cleaned them up, and tacked one side, then the other, then the top surfaces. I then re-enforce the joints with .010 thick sheet styrene strips, cut wide enough to cover both sides. When satisfied with that, welded everything with liquid cement. Then bondo went on to smooth out the joints.

I've had a little practice:

TRACK%20007.jpg

Trixie - my original, built in 1993.

Great job Moon Pie. I like the conversion of the front end you did. The car looks great, and I for one remember "Ghoulardi". Great show every Friday night on channel 8. Where did you get the picture of him and what did you do to get the picture on the car? I have an idea to do something similar. Turn Blue, you Purple Knif, and kool it with the Boom-Booms. LOL. Great guy. Dan

Actually found one of the pictures that Manners used for their promotion stickers. Had one on my bike, so I was thrilled when I Googled him and found that picture. He was also the voice-over announcer on "Americas Funniest Home Videos". At the height of his "Ghoulardi" career, he was actually more popular than Santa Claus. :P

Edited by Moon Pie

If only you could do this in 1/1. I tried about 35 yrs ago and the cowls are radically different. '55 and '56 are the same and look really cool switched around.

Trixie is a model of a 55-57 Chevy, that a buddy of mine in high school built and drove in his senior year (1969). I don't remember the details of how he did it, but it was the sharpiest car in town. Trixie is an exact dupicate of the 1:1 car with the exception of the tires.

• 5 months later...