Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey guys, I have just started building models, and I messed up the clear coat on the monogram f-250. I have been using conventional paint thinner (not latex brand) and paper towel, but I cant get all o the paint off. The surface is a cloudy mixture of bare styrene and leftover red, also the body lines are gunked up with paint. What do I use?? TzvtpVVl.jpg

Easy Off spray oven cleaner also works exceptionally well.

NOT the low-fume kind!!

The caustic toxic stuff cuts many types of paint well, but be SURE to use rubber gloves and DON'T GET IT IN YOUR EYES!!

It will leave a slightly 'soapy' residue on the part.

Remove the residue by scrubbing with Comet or a similar abrasive cleaner, hot water and an old toothbrush.

Scrubbing with Comet also gets into all the nooks and crannies, and provides a nice 'tooth' for your new primer to adhere to.

I've done this process MANY time, saving older models, and I have consistent good results.

Hope this isnt Highjacking the thread just thought I would post here rather than start another one. My revell car has been sitting in fresh brake fluid for 4 days and still alot of the primer still on it. I think I will run out and try purple power.. It was Krylon colorsmart pain and primer no gloss yet.

Try brushing and washing the body sometimes its loose and needs brushing to finish getting it off...