Model Cars Magazine Forum

IROC-Z CAMARO MONOGRAM 1985 1:8

Seen them on Ebay for up to a couple hundred dollars for unopened mint kits. It seems the "Holy Grail" 1/8th Monogram kit is the '79 T/A. Last one I saw went for over $400 a couple weeks ago. But, as everyone knows, the value of something is as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I picked up a couple, to build replicas of my old 1:1... I got one for just over 80.00 plus shipping, started- engine glued together. Then I got another just over 100.00 new unstarted. I have seen them sell upwards of 125.00 though.

I have a few of these, and agree with what everyone else has said about the price. I was lucky enough to get one of mine when they were still on the shelves for $60 or so back about 15 years ago. It builds up very nicely with good proportions. Let me know if you have any questions during your build.

iroc1.jpg

iroc0.jpg

hawk, where did you get your decals? i own a 1/1 1986 iroc with silver stripes and letters. as you know, the kit comes with red stripes and letters. my father-in-law just bought me a sealed 1/8 for $180 off ebay.

also, how did you do the paint on the wheels? thanks, tom

Edited by mckenzie913

hawk, where did you get your decals? i own a 1/1 1986 iroc with silver stripes and letters. as you know, the kit comes with red stripes and letters. my father-in-law just bought me a sealed 1/8 for $180 off ebay.

Wondering the same thing........

BTW, that can't be a kit, looks too real

Actually, the black and silver stripes around the bottom were masked and painted on. At some point, I am planning to get someone to print off a set of the silver "IROC-Z" letters for the doors. You might want to get in touch with Chief Joseph on here. I know he prints custom decals.

As far as the wheels, they were brush painted with flat aluminum mixed with some flat black. I used my super small brush (thinking it is 000 ??) to outline the dark areas, and then filled them in with a larger brush.