Model Cars Magazine Forum

Humidity. Paint and primer

I've looked everywhere and have not been able to find appropriate humidity levels for painting and priming a model. I know a ton of sanding and body prep needs done before anything is sprayed but I haven't found anything to do with appropriate levels. I live in central Oregon and have been having between 40-60% during the day. I only use rattle cans for both. Would this work if there is no wind? Any and all help is appreciated.

Edited by hellonwheelz3

I live in Tennessee so humidity is always a problem. I in the summer step out in the middle of the day and spray bring it back inside to dry. As long as its not raining or wet and in the summer mid day is the best I have had few problems.

Using rattlecans means painting outside for most of us. I moved from the hot humid midwest to the arid high desert a few years back and both present unique challenges. In Missouri I always did what Carl suggests until one evening. I took the piece outside, sprayed and watched the paint bead up and bounce off the surface. The humidity allowed condensation to form. From then on it was middle of the day as stated. 90% humidty was the norm there.

Acrylics sprayed in an airbrush were fine year round.

Here in Las Vegas I find that if I take something outside in the middle of the day it is way too hot unless I take extra precautions. Every can is thoroughly shaken before stepping out. I go out and wait a minute for the body to warm up then spray in the shade. I bring everything in and wait a half hour. Then I put the piece outside in the shade and watch it dry in minutes. Can you say baked enamel finish? 5% humidity in the summer.

40%-60% humidity is ok in my book. Rain and wet are the enemies as stated.

G

Is this an enamel thing with rain?

Most paints.

Enamels act stupid, bead up, refuse to dry, refuse to cover, you name it.

Laquers simply "blush" and refuse to gloss up. They go on then develop a white pasty appearence. Being laquers, this penetrates all the coats as they merge into one anyway.

Acrylics spray better with a touch of moisture in the air but there is definately a sweet spot as stated by Bill.

G