Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dom's Charger Fast Five Build Update 5-01-13 Finished

TFchronos

Hey guys, this here is my second build of the year and it's a replica of Dom's Charger from Fast Five. It's being built for the Fast and Furious cbp. Starting out as a Revell 69' Charger it's going to be re worked to look like the 70' charger.

Here's the start, small update and end result.

Post11_zps79814aa1.jpg

First order of business is moving the front reflectors back a bit.

Post21_zps5a2bdad3.jpg

Post22_zps04f76e85.jpg

Here is what the end result will look like, give or take.

Fast--Furious-5--70er-Dodge-Charger--Bil

fast_five_photo-535x300_zpsd2b47067.jpg

Thanks for looking more updates to come.

Edited by TFchronos

Nice start man, I love that movie, love part 6 as well. 5 & 6 Film sticks out the most to me for some reason. Just so you know, the Fast Furious chargers had Chevy motors in them the last I knew about and heard. I think the fender chop you did looks very good. But you should have started with a Revell Daytona Charger kit though as that has a 1970 front end fenders on like what you needed. All needed to do was make a grill was all. But you would have needed to redo the rear window area though if you would have went with the 1969 Charger Daytona by revell. I'll be watching this build for sure.

Nice start man, I love that movie, love part 6 as well. 5 & 6 Film sticks out the most to me for some reason. Just so you know, the Fast Furious chargers had Chevy motors in them the last I knew about and heard. I think the fender chop you did looks very good. But you should have started with a Revell Daytona Charger kit though as that has a 1970 front end fenders on like what you needed. All needed to do was make a grill was all. But you would have needed to redo the rear window area though if you would have went with the 1969 Charger Daytona by revell. I'll be watching this build for sure.

Thank you, Fast Five was is my Personal favorite, my only complaint with the movie is they didn't show the race with the Porsche, I would loved to have seen that. I thought about using the Daytona real hard but what changed my mind was the back window. I figured it be easier to modify the Charger's front end rather than the Daytona's back window. I remember reading an article about using Chevy engines "for" the movie but I don't recall it ever being said what engine it had "in" the movie. I'll end up watching the movie again to make sure but for now I going to stick with the stock engine.

Looking forward to your progress and build Jonathan. I love the charger in the movie. a few years ago I bought the AMT version just to have it. I have no idea what I will do with it but they are much more expensive now..

Thanks, the Fast Five Charger is definitely my favorite. I know right, those kits are expensive now. To think shortly after the first movie came out every Wal-Mart in my area had them falling off the selves and couldn't sell them. I wish I picked up a few lol.

Thank you, Fast Five was is my Personal favorite, my only complaint with the movie is they didn't show the race with the Porsche, I would loved to have seen that. I thought about using the Daytona real hard but what changed my mind was the back window. I figured it be easier to modify the Charger's front end rather than the Daytona's back window. I remember reading an article about using Chevy engines "for" the movie but I don't recall it ever being said what engine it had "in" the movie. I'll end up watching the movie again to make sure but for now I going to stick with the stock engine.

Thanks, the Fast Five Charger is definitely my favorite. I know right, those kits are expensive now. To think shortly after the first movie came out every Wal-Mart in my area had them falling off the selves and couldn't sell them. I wish I picked up a few lol.

They're worth more now?? Really? Can't see why? I picked up a couple years ago only to find they're not true 70 chargers. Wasted my $ ? they're sitting in my stash somewhere waiting to not be used ?

:rolleyes: Hi looking good the sidelights came out great. I'm not shure if you know but modelhause has all replacement parts for the 70 Charger there the old amt/mpc parts but they are 1/25 so they do fit it may save you time on trying to make them.

:rolleyes: Hi looking good the sidelights came out great. I'm not shure if you know but modelhause has all replacement parts for the 70 Charger there the old amt/mpc parts but they are 1/25 so they do fit it may save you time on trying to make them.

Thanks for the info info, I didn't know that. I like the challenge of trying to scratch build whenever I can but if my attempt fails that will make a great backup plan. Thanks again!

Update within the next day or two, thanks again for looking everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Ira, Jason and Stan.

Another small but exciting update for me. It's also one of the biggest selling points of the build and that is the rims. Without knowing exactly what rims were used, I looked as best I could via Yahoo, Google, and Wiki search but wasn't able to find anything on the rims. So I just decided to model them out as best I could in 3D and had Shapeways print them along with a few other goodies that will be used later on in the year for another build.

Viewport render of the front rim modeled in Blender 3D.

Post83_zps1fc04bd7.png

Rear rim viewport

Post84_zps2dfd2286.png

Printed product, Strong & Flexible Plastic, Polished

Post81_zps94442386.jpg

Post82_zps6b49e5f7.jpg

And the end result after some sanding and painting.

Post85_zps85222eec.jpg

Post86_zps227d26e9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Carl!

Sorry for no recent updates, I've been sick since Friday the 18th. Finaly got better and started working on it again. I need to get a move on, it's gotta be done by the end of the month.

Started on the interior, got the wheels set and got the grille done, just need to do something for headlights.

Pics!

DSC04709_zps7aa6b489.jpg

This back peice is covered with heat and air duct tape to replicate the sheet aluminum used for the movie cars.

DSC04708_zps7913ebff.jpg

The grille is wire mesh, some of you might remember it from the '67 GTX I did for last years cannonball cbp.

DSC04707_zpscba150e0.jpg

And Finally, a quick little mock up test with the rims.

DSC04706_zps0cf3f980.jpg

Thanks for looking, more to come, within the next few days hopefully. :)