Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty 51 Chevy Convertible

kingiguana

And yet another one done up rusty and crusty for my friend Jeff who will use this for slot car drag racing. AMT's 51 Chevy, done in pale yellow with a white top. With weathering powders, and the salt and rubber cement technique. I did the interior up too, although it may not be used, or at least all of it. Its a bummer that all that baremetal got dullcoated over. The chassis its on is only for photos.20140318_0651451.jpg20140318_0651451.jpg20140318_0651211.jpg

20140318_0651361.jpg20140318_0651041.jpg

Edited by kingiguana

Looks like the 1951 Chevy that Steve McQueen drove in his last movie "The Hunter" from 1980 minus the white top instead of black. Had he left the car sit in the backyard it might have looked like this.

Looks great though!

for those curious...

10-mcqueen-chevrolet-styleline_zps2a6a13

140203145408-steve-mcqueen-1951-chevy-st

557_zpsf1e36308.png

Well I paint a body with a red oxide (rust colored primer or paint ) first. Then I will put patches of random rubber cement. I will also use the salt technique. I will then add the top color. Once the paint is dry I scrub and or peel the rubber cement off. Ive also at times taken some duct tape and burnish it down at random points, and peel it off, thus removing paint. Just have to be careful not to stress the plastic and break it. If too much paint comes off, You can always brush touch an area. Or even mask off and spray a random primer or color.

Whats the rubber cement tehcnique :unsure: ? cool chevy BTW B)