Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Toronado

Helix

Something I did on my 67 toronado motor was use the valve covers off a junk amt olds motor reshaping the heads slightly and used the oil filler tube. After painting and minor detailing it looks like a olds v-8. Of course you could steal the motor from the revell or amt olds cutlass kits.

Joe your latest posting has got me curious. I've build a couple of JoHan/AMT '70 Toronados over the years. Plus I have a JoHan '72 awaiting restoration. All of my Toronado kits came with Oldsmobile engines and there was no need to modify or source one from other kit. Why Ray's came with Cadillac valve covers, I don't quite understand? And why you had to modify an engine for your '67, also mystifies me?

Now, JoHan was known to use parts from other kits if they fit. I remember owning a '62 JoHan Plymouth with '62 JoHan Dodge interior (or it may have been the other way around). This was fairly late in life of these kits, as tools were getting a little worn out. A reissue from sometime in the 1980's. So I could see Ray's Toronado getting an Eldorado drive train if his came from a later reissue. But, your '67 Toronado, as far as I know was only offered in '67. And the tooling for that was modified from the '66 Toronado kit. That tooling was then modified to produce the '68. Then the '69 and '70. So your '67 was made from a pretty fresh tool at the time.

The Toronado in real life, and as a kit appeared for the first time as a 1966 model. The front wheel drive version of the Eldorado appeared a year later, for the 1967 model year. So JoHan's Toronado would have been tooled up first. I doubt they knew of Cadillac's plan to move the Eldorado a year later to GM's shared E body, as they were tooling up the '66 Toronado model kit and decided to give it a Cadillac motor. So why your '67 would not have had an Olds engine baffles me?

Scott Aho

Try this again!!!!

I LOVE this one!

One of my Favorite cars the Toronado!!

I have 3 of this kit. 2 are Jo-Han USA Oldies re-issues, the other an AMT boxed Original!

The AMT is a restoration project, the 2 Jo-Han are unbuilt.

I also have a 72 I have been trying to restore. Used parts from a 75/76 Eldorado

(All the front suspension)

I know Jo-Han issued the 66 First, but did they update it to 67 Spec's? or leave it as

a 66 And allow AMT to issue it with 67 box art??

My MPC 67 has the front corner side lights that the AMT boxed Jo-Han doesn't!!

I have a few of the Eldorados too

I built the 70 shortly after it was Re-issued, and have another unbuilt.

I have 2-3 unbuilt 76's too.

And a few 71-74's.

One will eventually be a 73 Indy Pace car!!

With a ll that I have, I don't recall paying much attention to the engine markings.

I would not be surprised to see them crossed over though.

Most of the rest of the chassis parts Are The same tool anyway!!!

Fun fact...I used to own a 73 Eldorado convertible. Same underpinnings the Toro had except engine of course. You did NOT want to lose a power steering drive belt on these things. You will not be able to steer the beast whatsoever. Don't ask how I know that. LOL. The drive shafts were so stout that any attempt at trying to steer the unpowered beast would give your arms a serious work out.

Fun fact...I used to own a 73 Eldorado convertible. Same underpinnings the Toro had except engine of course. You did NOT want to lose a power steering drive belt on these things. You will not be able to steer the beast whatsoever. Don't ask how I know that. LOL. The drive shafts were so stout that any attempt at trying to steer the unpowered beast would give your arms a serious work out.

I too have had the fun of having to steer a '67 Toronado without the assist of the power steering pump. On my way to the 100 Anniversary Olds meet in Lansing a few years back. Those big front wheel drive E-bodies are a handful (or is that armful?) without assist.

Scott Aho

• 1 month later...