Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Ford C-600 flatbed with crane

003_zps496af2eb.jpg

Engine is in the '71 flat bed. I stayed with the kit's 534 Super Duty V8 gas engine, grimed and rusted up to look like a well-used example. Fuel tanks can be seen in the background- the seams have all been filled, they just need to be primed and painted now, and the filler caps installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ice fishing shanties? :lol:

I'm getting a "I'll show up some time in the next few weeks, but I only get paid in cash" owner/contractor vibe from this truck, so just about anything would work on the bed roofing materials, fence posts and fencing, crusty old engines and/or metal scraps...

Ice fishing shanties? :lol:

I'm getting a "I'll show up some time in the next few weeks, but I only get paid in cash" owner/contractor vibe from this truck, so just about anything would work on the bed roofing materials, fence posts and fencing, crusty old engines and/or metal scraps...

I was about to suggest the same thing. Loads of rusty automotive scrap, a few refrigerators, a swing set, some empty freon bottles. Maybe some bashed up bedsides made from nailed together doors.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier someone asked about opening the doors. I remembered Ken Hamilton built an amazing weathered C-Series for his Playland Penny Arcade diorama. There are quite a few pics of the truck in progress and in the diorama, but I must warn you... set aside an hour or two to soak it all in! B)

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/playland_penny_arcade/

One step forward, five or six back...

I wasn't going to add hydraulic lines to the crane, but I figured it would look silly without any, so I made some from lengths of vinyl tubing from an AMT semi trailer kit. I also did the first stage of weathering on the crane, basically an oily wash here and there, in areas where hydraulic fluid might leak or be spilled.

004_zpsmturmpfd.jpg

Step back? I elbowed the cab off the edge of the workbench, and there were a few casualties in that encounter. Fortunately, the damage should be easy to fix... or I could save that cab for something else and do something totally different with this one.

EDIT- Also- I had to pry off the hard lines you see on the boom, as I managed to install it upside-down (the shorter lines were facing up, and on the right) the first time. But that was just a minor setback. :)

Edited by Chuck Most

These things are sent to try us and frequently do . Im sure you will fix things Chuck and it may turn out better than before. Oh thanks for the link to Ken Hamiltons arcade Diorama . Wow that man has some talent for realistic models . It took me 2 hours to look at all of the build but it was time well spent

• 1 month later...

I made a pair of toolboxes by cutting down an Italeri accessories pack piece- as-is, it's about as wide as the flat bed. I cut the ends off and walled off the back side with flat plastic to make two "sidesaddle" boxes. Driver's side is installed, passenger's side will be shortly. I also added the loading dock bumpers and taillights- like the lift gate, they came from an AMT Louisville box truck.

002_zpscyjcfyev.jpg