Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24th Scale Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA

mikevillena

Looks great!

Grazi Fabrizio! :)

Really great work!!! I have two Tamyia Alfa kits put back....but they will never compare to this work!

I want to build.....

ALFAGTAKWECH-vi.jpg

Thank you Dave. I'm sure you or anyone can easily surpass my rather amateurish attempt. Do have a go at it. I only have one more unbuilt kit on hand and I will keep it in reserve until Tamiya (in their wisdom :rolleyes: ) decides to re-issue.

Turns out I got a little too enthusiastic with my grinding so I had to use the applied gutter as a "repair". After trimming and applying another stip over the repair:

IMG_1072_zps089f9b74.jpg

IMG_1077_zps9989ff8e.jpg

IMG_1076_zps5226e303.jpg

Turned my attention to the engine bay. Modified the battery shelf and finished the firewall:

IMG_1073_zps0f22fe99.jpg

IMG_1075_zps524c2200.jpg

IMG_1074_zps2b0dc670.jpg

Popped down to the local hobby shop. Turns out Evergreen doesn't make .005 x .005 strips. Had to settle for .010 x .020 Should be a challenge getting the .020 side to take a bend camber. Also picked up a Squadron Precision Putty Applicator to make life a little easier. I really love Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement as the tiny applicator brush makes precision application a breeze:

IMG_1079_zps2757531e.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsdb0bbd7f.jpg

I cemented the strip in short segements while allowing for the joint to cure before moving onto the next as things are very fragile. Brushed on some spot primer to see how things are shaping. Proof of concept:

IMG_1081_zps5e485bbc.jpg

Vast improvement over the shapeless and incorrect blob of a rain gutter in the stock version. Should really stand out with BMF at the finish.

Also plugged the two license plate mounting holes with some stretched sprue:

IMG_1078_zps3afbe311.jpg

Beautiful work all around. Do you have a site with the build pics? I'd sure like to print the pics out for a future build.

Hi and thank you Mike. I don't have a website but you are more than welcome to snag the photos. But I think you would be better off to check out Alfaholics' website:

Your really getting serious with this one. This is shaping up to be one cutting edge GTA.

Thanks Ron! I really didn't intend on getting this deep. At first I thought about just modifying the interior to get rid of the bench seats but the bare chassis looked like cr*p. The problem with superdetailing is that you can't just work on one or two features because the rest of model won't look right. Like they say " In for a penny, in for a pound!" I just hope I can improve my skills enough to justify all of the kind compliments :)

The build is looking good Mike. Two questions, can you post a pic of your grey scratch filler, so I can know what I'm getting at my LHS, or on line, and I've got to know who your avatar is can you tell me?

Joe, it's just plain old automotive scratch filler and primer:

adhesives.jpg

(Item no. 5 in the photo)

You can get it at any auto parts store. It's essentially grey primer (lacquer) with a little more filler in it. It's useful for filling small gaps too. I like the 2 in 1 applicator because it has a brush built into the cap. It's expensive but I simply decant more scratch filler/primer from the large rattlecan by spraying directly into the bottle.

As to the avatar, it's Duncan Hamilton. Think of a swashbuckling 15th century pirate taking up motor racing and that pretty much describes the guy.

http://vennmotorsport.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/the-drunken-tale-of-duncan-hamilton/

Duncan Hamilton.

Give that man a cigar! :lol:

While the repairs and modifications on the bodyshell are curing, I returned to the chassis. Replaced the incorrect front rails with some channel:

IMG_1082_zps4a97a56a.jpg

IMG_1084_zps5eee7b6b.jpg

I also took a break and went down to Sears because they had a four drawer tool storage cabinet with casters for 85 bucks. I have patiently waited for a cheap and used one to show up at the local Salvation Army but none ever did. Anyway, I can now organize my hobby tools and materials:

IMG_1083_zpsfc161579.jpg

BTW, it's lightly built and wouldn't be able to hold heavy things in the drawers but is perfect for hobby use. Also, the fasteners (for attaching the casters) that come with it are garbage. Throw them away and use real ones. :lol:

Thanks Mike, I so appreciate the picks. I often forget the stuff you get at a hobby shop is just over priced, repackaged with less of an amount than what is at your NAPA store. Shoot for that matter I have an account there. As far as Duncan goes I'll go to your link and read it. Many thanks again Mike, you are a great help.

Thanks Mike, I so appreciate the picks. I often forget the stuff you get at a hobby shop is just over priced, repackaged with less of an amount than what is at your NAPA store. Shoot for that matter I have an account there. As far as Duncan goes I'll go to your link and read it. Many thanks again Mike, you are a great help.

I also use the Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty as it cures quickly and sands very easily. However, it is somewhat fragile and readily chips if used for fender flares. For extensive bodywork that is sculpted (like fender flares) I used to use DAP Plastic Wood from the hardware store. It's essentially cellulose fibers in an acetone base. It dries slowly and shrinks a little but it's very versatile. I have yet to try Tamiya's Epoxy Putty so I'll let you know.

WOW! Great story. I like the guy.

Haha..he's a real character :lol: I will soon be changing my avatar to another hero of mine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Uhlenhaut

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/04/rudolf-uhlenhaut-supreme-engineer/

A little more progress today in between household chores:

IMG_1085_zpsd1146f9b.jpg

Used a large ball cutter with my flex shaft tool (el cheapo knock off of Foredom) set to almost stalling to thin out the door area:

IMG_1087_zpse3057e4c.jpg

Lots of soapy water to keep the area clean as I started to cut out the passenger door:

IMG_1086_zps77015a7a.jpg

Door almost free save for three corners:

IMG_1088_zps2a60c006.jpg

Got the job done with minimal waste and no errant cuts:

IMG_1089_zps998c8f60.jpg

Also scribed some panel lines that were missing on the Tamiya model:

IMG_1090_zps8de0274b.jpg

After some cleanup, I can start on the passenger side rain gutter and then it's onto the extensive understructures of the roof and sides.

Attaching the base part of the passenger side rain gutter:

IMG_1091_zps3de56fe3.jpg

After the base part cured and got trimmed, it was time to glue on the .010 x .020 strip to complete the rain gutter:

IMG_1092_zpsaa8533e7.jpg

Did a much cleaner job this time:

IMG_1093_zps1dc01d23.jpg

Also took the time to grind off the manufacturer's raised markings on the underside of the roof and filled in the rear view mirror mounting cavity:

IMG_1094_zps4aab2cf2.jpg

I forgot how dimunitive the full sized car actually is.... For fun, I broke out the body for my 155 V6 TI (same manufacturer, same scale):

IMG_1095_zpsadea71c8.jpg

IMG_1096_zps1ffc80b8.jpg

IMG_1097_zps01f9245d.jpg

For bigger laughs, here's the project car sitting atop an unpainted 1/10th scale Giulia GTA r/c bodyshell:

IMG_1098_zpsae0fbad0.jpg

Side window structure using .010 styrene sheet:

IMG_1099_zps61a76deb.jpg

Rough trimming:

IMG_1100_zpsbf205390.jpg

Finshed trimming and re-installed the kit's "B" pillar. Popped the door in to check for any misalingment or warpage:

IMG_1101_zps214ceffb.jpg

Brushed on some filler/primer to help blend things:

IMG_1102_zps98f43df4.jpg

Started fabricating the roof structures. The .020 x .020 strips are to provide a gap between the fabricated stampings and the actual roof skin.

IMG_1105_zps7f3a5f91.jpg

IMG_1104_zps11a855b5.jpg

The cut-out is a little wonky but will be cleaned up later. Working with .010 thk sheet is a little tricky for me at this point and should have been photoetched for a crisper effect. Oh well, I work with what I have.

IMG_1107_zpsa70e2ca7.jpg

Proof of concept:

IMG_1108_zps1e4923a8.jpg

IMG_1109_zpsb30fc67a.jpg

IMG_1110_zpsde15248c.jpg

I need to let the cement and filler primer to cure before I sand and blend everthing together. Afterwhich a few more pieces to add and the roof will have been finished.