Model Cars Magazine Forum

New York model stores?

Hi folks, me and the wife will be visiting New York in a few weeks time and I have been given permission to model shop as long as they are not too far away from our hotel which is the Sheraton New York by Times square. Any info will be greatly received.

http://www.willishobbies.com

Maybe a local member can chime in on this as I haven't been there in years. Bad news it's a 20 minute train ride from Manhattan. Good news is you can probably walk to it from the train station. It is an "Old time hobby shop" Heavy on trains from what I remember

I just stopped in there tonight on my way home from work !

It's one of the best general hobby shops around. They carry tons of ALL models, plus trains, All RC hobby's, crafts, educational build & use type kits, science related projects, etc…. Tamiya paints & putty, polishing kits, BMF, Parts Pack tire sets, some detail master stuff, brass, evergreen, die cast in 1/18 and the true collectors scale of 1/43. They now have a slot car track in the basement….. A really nice place to visit & wander.

BTW: The train station is about a good 1/2 mile walk. Very nice area of Long Island, low key private home community with some business on the major roads. A safe environment if thats what you might be thinking. Be careful in Manhattan though….

Edited by FASTBACK340

John I was hoping you'd pop in.....

There might still be that old school diner on the corner by it too. One of those old stainless steel ones. But it's probably gone. My Grandmother lived in Williston Park up until she died so I got to know a lot of it. If you do go to the hobby shop go to Hilldebrandts on Hillside Ave for an ice cream. It was featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. I used to go there a lot cuz Grandma lived a block away!

John I was hoping you'd pop in.....

There might still be that old school diner on the corner by it too. One of those old stainless steel ones. But it's probably gone. My Grandmother lived in Williston Park up until she died so I got to know a lot of it. If you do go to the hobby shop go to Hilldebrandts on Hillside Ave for an ice cream. It was featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. I used to go there a lot cuz Grandma lived a block away!

Funny story about Hilidebrandts…...

In 2012 we saw an episode of DDD and Hilidebrandts was featured. My wife comments we should try it one day. A week later I had to gone out and got home about 9:30 when my wife suggests we go there. We drive up, enjoy our ice cream, and total our car coming home. Tow truck traveling the opposite direction lost an Acura off of the wheel lift. It hopped the divider and hit 6 cars, with us being #7 and caving in the cowl at my feet and sending us into a parked car. The car was an 8 yr. old VW GTI with 54K miles. My wives first "new car" we bought new in `04. Neither one of us ever mentions going "there" again……since we had ice cream in the freezer that night! And yes, the retro chrome dinner is STILL THERE.

I miss that car….. :(

SANY0131-vi.jpg

Edited by FASTBACK340

So Mark

The plan is.......

1. Train to Mineola

2. Willis Hobby

3. Retro cool diner

4. Hilldebrandts for ice cream and then and only then go back to Manhattan

5. Take the Staten Island Ferry for free and get a really nice boat ride past the Statue of Liberty for FREE!

Hi folks, me and the wife will be visiting New York in a few weeks time and I have been given permission to model shop as long as they are not too far away from our hotel which is the Sheraton New York by Times square. Any info will be greatly received.

I tried hitting a hobby store a few years ago when my wife and I went up to do the tourist thing. Never got around to it. And now my daughter lives in the upper west side of Manhattan for college and I go up regularly and I still don't find the time. Just so much to do and so little time to do it all.

The hobby shop sounds nice, but that diner! It sounds wonderful. I want to go just to get pictures of it!

Where exactly is it? I've been finding myself on Long Island a bit lately to help a friend out, and if I can schedule a trip there around his needs, grab lunch/dinner and stop in at a LIARS meeting, so much the better. Friend's business is in Ronkonkoma/Selden. I know Freeport's about 45 minutes if traffic cooperates. Where is everything in relation to one another?

Charlie Larkin

The hobby shop sounds nice, but that diner! It sounds wonderful. I want to go just to get pictures of it!

Where exactly is it? I've been finding myself on Long Island a bit lately to help a friend out, and if I can schedule a trip there around his needs, grab lunch/dinner and stop in at a LIARS meeting, so much the better. Friend's business is in Ronkonkoma/Selden. I know Freeport's about 45 minutes if traffic cooperates. Where is everything in relation to one another?

Charlie Larkin

Corner of Willis Ave and Jericho Turnpike....

It's the Mineola Diner Here's a you Tube of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHCZ1x1YZyQ

There's one at 23 W. 45th downstairs. Been there since 46 and I think most of their stuff has been there since then. It's called the Red Caboose, but they have car stuff too. Stuff is packed in from floor to ceiling. An interesting and a must see if your in NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

There is another out on Long Island probably 1 hour by train Bay Shore Hobbies. I was in there a few times when I lived in Islip. Unfortunately I wasn't into doing models as I had the thee kids,minivan and house thing going http://www.hobbystores.com/bayshore/

From what I remember they stocked a lot of kits and had a lot of detail stuff. Can't vouch for it now though

Edited by ratdoggy

There is another out on Long Island probably 1 hour by train Bay Shore Hobbies. I was in there a few times when I lived in Islip. Unfortunately I wasn't into doing models as I had the thee kids,minivan and house thing going http://www.hobbystores.com/bayshore/

From what I remember they stocked a lot of kits and had a lot of detail stuff. Can't vouch for it now though

Mike, when I lived on Long Island (West Islip/Bayshore) we (LIARS Club) used to call Bayshore Hobbies "Robber Bob's". The owner, Bob, sits on a stool behind the counter and barely acknowledges customers when they enter the store. The place is PACKED with car and truck models, military models, ships and planes and train stuff. He has aftermarket stuff and Plastruct and Evergreen stock, paints, glues, brushes, etc... very well stocked ALMOST FROM FLOOR TO CEILING. You have a tough time reaching models because the kits are stacked 3 deep on the floor up to eye level in front of the shelves which are also full. Don't bother asking Bob for help, or any other questions, as he doesn't budge off that stool..!!! His prices are "up there" which is why we called it "Robber Bob's".

Mike, when I lived on Long Island (West Islip/Bayshore) we (LIARS Club) used to call Bayshore Hobbies "Robber Bob's". The owner, Bob, sits on a stool behind the counter and barely acknowledges customers when they enter the store. The place is PACKED with car and truck models, military models, ships and planes and train stuff. He has aftermarket stuff and Plastruct and Evergreen stock, paints, glues, brushes, etc... very well stocked ALMOST FROM FLOOR TO CEILING. You have a tough time reaching models because the kits are stacked 3 deep on the floor up to eye level in front of the shelves which are also full. Don't bother asking Bob for help, or any other questions, as he doesn't budge off that stool..!!! His prices are "up there" which is why we called it "Robber Bob's".

Hi Rich

I see that you are a fellow former Long Islander!! I grew up in Brentwood and bought my first house in Islip by where the Speedway was. Maybe you remember Montaltos in BayShore we used to buy our slot car stuff there.

I remember him on the stool on the right as you came in. Prices might have been high but he had the stuff you needed before the internet on the shelves.

Edited by ratdoggy

Yeah you're right about Bayshore Hobbies having almost anything you'd want...... if you could find it, or get to it..!!

My first house was in West Islip on Oakneck Rd. and the second one only 3 blocks away on Babe Ruth St. I moved to western PA in December of 2006 because it just got too expensive to live there anymore. The taxes on our high ranch home on a quarter acre hit $10K per year and we said "outta here". It's much cheaper living here in PA.

Plus...all of his RC stuff is piled up in front of his model cars. You can't even get to the models. I went in there twice, thinking the first time the guy was having a bad day. Same the second time. I walked in to not even a nod... I never went back.

Yeah you're right about Bayshore Hobbies having almost anything you'd want...... if you could find it, or get to it..!!

My first house was in West Islip on Oakneck Rd. and the second one only 3 blocks away on Babe Ruth St. I moved to western PA in December of 2006 because it just got too expensive to live there anymore. The taxes on our high ranch home on a quarter acre hit $10K per year and we said "outta here". It's much cheaper living here in PA.

Yep the taxes are the killer. You never hear about someone moving to Long Island from another part of the country do you? I left in 2009 taxes are a quarter on twice as much house.

Is daves hobby heaven still open or did the old man pass. I moved to cali from queens ny 7 years ago an every visit never had the time to go see if he is still there. It takes about 2 or 3 hours to look thru all of his kits. Nothing but boxes an boxes filled you can barely walk thru the store. Its on Atlantic ave off the medobrookparkway I think exit m8 or m6 I know one you exit you go a few blocks make left after the caddy dealership take it to Atlantic make right an its a block or 2 I think big store that looks like a shhhhhi hole on the corner.

I was going to suggest Polk's Hobbies but they went out of business in December. I use to go there as a child in the'60s when they had 5 floors on 5th Avenue, and began visiting them again in the early '80s because they carried Heller, Tamiya, Fujimi, etc. Oh, well.

PB.