Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Cien1986

I really love what you have done with this kit so far Henry!

With all the problems this kit has, you have so far turned it into something to be extremely proud of!

Keep up the amazing work my friend.

Many thanks for your support Ken....

The door fit looks really good.

(PS -- No, those weren't my kits in the pictures I posted. They're part of my research on the 1:1 car and various kits.)

As to the clear coat, the doors look shinier than the rest of the body. Does it look this way to the eye?

Edited by sjordan2

The door fit looks really good.

(PS -- No, those weren't my kits in the pictures I posted. They're part of my research on the 1:1 car and various kits.)

As to the clear coat, the doors look shinier than the rest of the body. Does it look this way to the eye?

i think tat is your kit...

i wonder why you are doing many research on this 300sl?

working for Mercedes?

at first i am thinking its uneven paint job too... the paint reflect differently...

then i paint it again (before clear coat) but i see the same result....

so i am thinking of the shape pf the body... maybe its not flat and a bit curvy so it shine differently...

this is my first experience painting aqua silver to the body... and its a bit challenging...

specially on the door since its not perfect fit... and the surface is not perfect too..

You might want to wait a bit before you do anything to this door pin. The next challenge for door fit will be to see how it looks after you add the hinges and door lifts. Meanwhile, I'd try a test fit on the other door handle, this time with the interior panel in place. I can't tell what the problem is with this one from the photo.

Edited by sjordan2

You might want to wait a bit before you do anything to this door pin. The next challenge for door fit will be to see how it looks after you add the hinges and door lifts. Meanwhile, I'd try a test fit on the other door handle, this time with the interior panel in place. I can't tell what the problem is with this one from the photo.

The pin is longer than the door panel... i cant close... but i will add the hinge and the lift first

then i will see what will happen next.... hahah....

The pin is longer than the door panel... i cant close... but i will add the hinge and the lift first

then i will see what will happen next.... hahah....

Yes, the pin is longer than the door panel when the door handle is in a certain position -- the pin fits in a hole on the interior door sill to lock the door in place. You have to open and close the handle. Take a look at the instructions and wait until you're ready to put the interior door panel in place until you put in the door handle. The door handle makes the pin go up and down when the interior and exterior panels are in place, because they have parts that mate and hold the door handle in the proper position.

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...

Today i manage to make the front tyre shaft longer.. by gluing it and insert 1mm brass line inside it

to make sure the extension is stong enough....

20140623_115433.jpg

So next i just need to insert spacer behind the wheel ang fixing the shaft end...

Looks good -- did you open the wheel slots? (Can't tell from the photo)

Getting the proper track width on the front wheels might interfere a bit with the steering, but it'll still look a lot better.

wheel slot? did u mean enlarging the wheel hole?

i just drill the center shaft... then insert 1mm brass line

20140623_113840.jpg

then i get the extension rod from left over runner...

You're making really nice progress on this!

Good thing Skip is along for the ride... he really knows his stuff on this car.

thanks for support...

yeah he really give me many suggestion and support on this....

the know this thing inside out

i wonder if he is the real designer of this car... hahaha....

By wheel slots, I mean the 8 holes that run in a circle around the center. I think they look fine the way they are.

What's going to get tricky is those very fat hubcaps, and they would take a lot of work to correct. As for me, I'd make racing wheels with knock-off spinners. The raised, sharp inner edges of the wheels around the center, where the hubcaps are glued, would have to be sanded and smoothed, then a tube with a flange mounted over the spindle, and 2-eared spinners would have to be made. I'm sure you already have wheel reference as to how that should look. Other than the things you're already working on (grille, front wheel track), the hubcaps and body seams are the most obvious exterior problems.

Edited by sjordan2