Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Cien1986

What part of the engine is the problem?

When you put in the engine, did you do anything at all that is different from the instructions, such as moving it forward a bit?

no i do nothing to engine.... but i remember i shave the upper body pillar which is for tighting screw...

because i see the body gap is too big so i think i need to shave it abit to make it close properly

i shave it about 1mm.. so body can fit well....

i have no idea the engine is so tall... maybe even without shaving it it wont close properly too

i have idea to trim the oil pan to make it thinner so the engine will move down a bit.....

but engine is fix now....

Can you carefully remove some plastic from the backside of the hood to clearance it out a little? Then just blend it in to the rest of the hood underside.

The hood plastic is too thin for that to have any effect. I'm still trying to figure out why the engine is too tall- haven't seen a problem with that in this kit.

Henry, I'm assuming that you haven't glued the top half of the body together with the bottom half. Before you do, go ahead and install the hood now according to instructions and take it from there.

PS: Do you have any pictures of the interior and dash?

Edited by sjordan2

i see ...

yes i havent glue it yet to make sure everything is trouble free first....

then glue it....

the hood pin holder is stuck with the air intake pipe.....

i think i need to replace it with thin metal sheet (PE sheet)

here is the dash pic.....

20140712_130946.jpg

20140712_132602.jpg

trying new baking oven for painted part specialy work best on clear coat part

20140712_125501.jpg

this oven set up using 3 25watt phillips bulb.... working at 50*C... but i can set it lower using light dimmer

all the oven surfacce is thermal insulated with styreofoam and laminate with aluminium foil... to make sure minimal heat loss...

Very realistic finish on the upholstery.

It's not a big deal, but that style of steering wheel was a faux ivory and should be all white. However, 3-spoke Nardi-type steering wheels with wood rims were available. Don't forget the grab handles on the door jambs; I assume you'll replace the kit gearshift lever with a straight stick.

Edited by sjordan2

Very realistic finish on the upholstery.

It's not a big deal, but that style of steering wheel was a faux ivory and should be all white. However, 3-spoke Nardi-type steering wheels with wood rims were available. Don't forget the grab handles on the door jambs; I assume you'll replace the kit gearshift lever with a straight stick.

I just glue the original shift stick... no wonder i feel something wrong about the stick....but its no big deal... easy to remove... replace it asap....

I still painting the door handle... the factory chrome is getting dull...

I wish the kit was lovely. But Henry's doing a great job to make it so.

Perfectly true.... i wish the kit is lovely too...

really thanks to you skip... you give me many information to correct this kit.....

many thanks for your concern on my project...

Edited by Cien1986

I'd love to see this finished product in person. I have a glue bomb beside me for reference, and at 15" long and about 4-1/2" tall, it's still impressive.

Really thanks to you skip... if you are not there supporting me... this thing will never get to this shape....

i love if you could come here... haha.....

Looks terrific. But I think you could sand off the bottom 1/3 of the hubcaps, and fill in the pie shapes inside the star there. But you solved the larger problem of the grille logo sticking out so much.

Sand it down already... but it seems not enough......