Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Edsel Finished!

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks everybody!! Actually guys, the upholstery pattern is pretty simple. Just started by spraying th entire tub red. Then after cutting a bunch of very thin pieces of tape, I applied them in a "cross hatched" pattern. I then put a light coat of "Dullcoat" over the entire upholstery area. (This helps prevent "bleed under") & what does bleed under is clear. Then I just painted every other rectangle gray or dark red to achieve the "checker board" pattern. After all of the interior is painted, I over coated the entire tub with a light coat of "Ceramcoat" pearl just to give it a nice 50s-60s sheen. Not rocket science, just takes time. :) Steve

A very very well done Edsel. Just love those cars, and you did her justice.

I built a '59 Galaxie from a AMT junior kit, and I like the junior kit's tires a lot better than the annual kit rock hard tires.

In terms of model kits, this is what I love, metal axles, screws on the bottom, and no engine. I think I was born too late.

Thanks every body! Tulio, I agree 100%. I love the new & the old kits. Just so happens, most of the subject matter I really love was made back then. The cars I love from that late 50s, early 60s time period are woefully under represented today. So it's metal axles & screw bottoms for me! At least for the time being. :) By the way, I have that same '59 Ford kit coming up in my build que. At this point I think it will be painted "Geranium" and white. Steve

Thanks every body! Tulio, I agree 100%. I love the new & the old kits. Just so happens, most of the subject matter I really love was made back then. The cars I love from that late 50s, early 60s time period are woefully under represented today. So it's metal axles & screw bottoms for me! At least for the time being. :) By the way, I have that same '59 Ford kit coming up in my build que. At this point I think it will be painted "Geranium" and white. Steve

That will be a great looking '59 Ford.

Mine was painted Indian Turquoise and Colonial White:

9491933422_fa051f1a72_c.jpg1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

9489148701_1bc59089f0_c.jpg1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr