Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Thunderbird

Steve_L

These are pictures of a model 1965 Thunderbird I built for my good friend, Ron Nelsen. Ron and his son worked on a 1:1 '65 T-Bird together, but his son passed away.

I found a vintage AMT 1965 Thunderbird screw-bottom metal-axle kit on EBay and was off and running. I used Duplicolor Ford Sonic Blue Metallic Paint for the exterior with a polished Duplicolor clear coat. The interior was completed with Duplicolor White upholstery paint, Bare Metal Foil and other detail painting. I added chrome pieces and headers to the engine as described by Ron and finished up the project with two license tags and a rear window sticker found on the real car.

I hope Ron likes it and that it brings back good memories of working on the 1:1 car with his son.

IMG_5666-vi.jpg

IMG_5667-vi.jpg

IMG_5668-vi.jpg

IMG_5674-vi.jpg

IMG_5676-vi.jpg

IMG_5677-vi.jpg

IMG_5678-vi.jpg

IMG_5679-vi.jpg

Sometimes people give me the bird..... Oh, wait a minute. That's something else. Any how, very nice job on the Thunderbird Steve. How can your friend, Ron not like it? It may bring some tears under the circumstances. And that's understandable and OK. By the way, I love the window sticker. It matches Ford's advertising campaign for the car at the time.

If anybody gives me a bird in the future, I hope it's as nice as the one your giving your friend Ron. In most cases the birds I get are not that nice.

Scott