Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Tale of Two Cudas

jjsipes

This is the tale of 2 Cudas. One was born Lemon Twist and the other was born Ivy Green Metallic.

The Lemon Twist I left the wheel lips alone the way they were molded, wish I had sanded them down alittle. Paint is from Scale Finishes and clear is Testors Model Master Lacquer High Gloss Clear. I polished the clear some and use Novus #2 to finish the body off. I Bare-Metal Foiled the trim. It will have Black interior and I have purchased a set of the AMT Goodyear Polyglas GT Tire sets for it.

0424141051_zps46f516dc.jpg

0606141120b_zpsc09aeb32.jpg

The Ivy Green Metallic, I decided to try and replicate Steve Juliano's Mod Top Hemi Car. I sanded down the wheel lips to look alittle more accurate. I added the vinyl top trim with Evergreen Strip Styrene half round .040". I added the same strip size to the roof to replicate the vinyl top seams and sanded them down some to flatten them out. Paint is again from Scale Finishes and clear is Testors Model Master Lacquer High Gloss Clear. I polished the clear some and use Novus #2 to finish the body off.I Bare-Metal Folied the trim. I purchased the Mod Top Floral pattern from Keith Marks Decals. I cut the Mod Top decal to approximate size and started to decal. I need to seal them with something, very fragile at this time and don't want them to flake off over time, any suggestion for sealing the decal pattern? This one will have the Dark Green Metallic interior in it. I purchased vinyl interior dye from Classic Industries for this.

0530141400_zpsf45e9bfe.jpg

0606141120a_zpsc926a5f2.jpg

Interior

0528141447_zps52e530d0.jpg

Here's a few pics together.

0606141119_zps6a6e89e6.jpg

0606141120_zps6e569930.jpg

"J" I am absolutely loving that mod top! if you don't mind I think I want to do that top, can you tell me how much for the decal? great work ! Shaun.s

It was $12 bucks and it worked great I thought. Just have to work with it alittle to get it to lay done with no wrinkles. In case you need it, here is Keith Marks website http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/plymouth/mod_top_pattern/

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated. Progress will be slow on these though.

Made some progress on the Lemon Twist Cuda. Got the interior pretty much completed. The chassis has been painted, assembled and ready to go.

Interior was painted black then cleared with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear. Carpet painted flat black for contrast, couldn't find my embossing powder . I just used Testors Model Master Leather for the wood, didn't try decals for console of dash woodgrain.

0610141500_zpsab3086d2.jpg

0610141500a_zpsb2b7f88e.jpg

Chassis was painted with Scale Finishes Lemon Twist then some clear shot on it. Most suspension parts were painted with Testors Semi-Gloss Black spray bomb. The rear leaf springs were coated in Testors Steel. The lower a-arms was painted with a mix of Testors Brass and Aluminum to similate the Cadium look as seen on restorations.

0610141500b_zpsd8d602c5.jpg

0610141500c_zpsb644f6d8.jpg

Need to get more completed on the Mod Top soon.

Some good work you're doing on these 'cudas ? but can I ask, are you making them factory correct because if you are then these chassis shouldn't be painted ( fully ) in body colour. All Mopar chassis were primered & had body colour over spray along the sides & the rear wheel tubs were painted with black protective type paint ??

Cheers

Love the mod top! B)

BTW, Cliff is right on the chassis color. Mopars were uni-body, there was no separate chassis. The body shell (along with the underbody) was all one welded piece, primed, and then sprayed body color (by humans, not robots in those days). The humans didn't bend down and spray the entire underbody... at most, a little body color overspray got onto the underside along the sides.

Just thought I'd let you know... There's a nice feature on the Mod-Top Cuda in the May issue of Musclecar Review (featuring/celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Hemi). I'm down in Australia so this issue only just got here
Cheers