Model Cars Magazine Forum

"I am Legend" Shelby GT500

hgbben

Candidate for this project is Revell's 07 Shelby GT500

post-9839-0-55260900-1402445395_thumb.jp

Paint is Scalefinishes Ford D3 Colorado Red. Two coats of Tamiya fine white primer, sanded then 2 coats of red. Found imperfections in the finish so wet sanding was needed. Just shot one last coat of the red before I clear it in a couple of days.

post-9839-0-43824500-1402445647_thumb.jp

post-9839-0-00312300-1402445679_thumb.jp

post-9839-0-47925300-1402445707_thumb.jp

Next on the attack list is the engine and chassis.

post-9839-0-68421300-1402445763_thumb.jp

Awesome build but I am a little partial to the subject. Did you know the car in the movie was the first one available for public sale and the movie purchased it

I did not know that...... Bet will smith had a blast! driving that machine

Edited by MsDano85gt

Well got around to putting some clear on this and it's my first time using Testors one coat lacquer. Here is a pic of the orange peel. Will a 2nd coat get rid of this or should I be safe and wet sand with 2500?

post-9839-0-99698300-1402616369_thumb.jp

I will sometimes get that orange peel when I spray lacquer in my garage in the summer. I think because it can be so hot that the paint is drying partially before it hits the surface. This time of year I only spray in the morning. But to answer your question I agree with the rest of the fellows about the wet sanding.

Hey Ben, One of my favorite clear coats to use is Rustoleum Lacquer clear......(Has a Black chair on the can.) You can get it at Menards, it is cheap, you get a lot in the can, and best of all after the mist coat.... it lays out so smooth!

The clear turned out better than i thought. My issue came upon detailing all of the window trim, the rain channels on the roof and the body skirts. Didn't really help matters upon test fitting the upper grille the paint chipped. Was heated for a few hours about this but looking forward to trying again.

Looking good Ben, looking forward to seeing more!

Painting body is always the toughest part of a build IMO, intimidating to many, takes repetition and practice, even still I struggle, for a great method to strip paint, without hassle, I've found Castrol Super Clean works really well

Here's a pic of my Shelby after a strip-bath recently too :(

10441980_646846642075715_452548465620744

The clear turned out better than i thought. My issue came upon detailing all of the window trim, the rain channels on the roof and the body skirts. Didn't really help matters upon test fitting the upper grille the paint chipped. Was heated for a few hours about this but looking forward to trying again.

For masking the body trim, I always use Bare Metal Foil. Makes an extremely sharp edge when airbrushing matte or satin black.