Model Cars Magazine Forum

White road boss....next up....

getting closer, now have lights, horns and door handles and exhaust on. cab and hood are mounted now as well. these mirrors are going to test me though, 5 parts to them, and tiny to boot. the mirrors will be saved for another day I think......

photo_zps14a19b15.jpg

photo_zps26cbcff9.jpg

thanks for following along.

edit: it's funny how my cell phone camera skews things sometimes, the air horns are actually straight.....

Edited by tbill

The mirrors on the Road Boss, Western Star & Diamond Reo suck!

X2.

I'm actually messing with the idea of getting good at soldering so I can just make up my own mirror brackets, so I don't have to live through the headache of messing with kit mirror brackets like these.

X2.

I'm actually messing with the idea of getting good at soldering so I can just make up my own mirror brackets, so I don't have to live through the headache of messing with kit mirror brackets like these.

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

ok, I need some help here. these mirrors are a pain in the butt. any ideas on how to assemble them without wrecking my paint work? so far, I have one mirror glued to the C frame, and have the rest of the parts for that mirror cleaned up and chrome 'scraped' in the proper areas for gluing, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out a way to get them together without wrecking something. any thoughts??

I have loosely attatched them to a flat piece of styrene with super glue to hold them in place. Then assemble the whole mirror and let it set up. Then carefully pry up the super glue with your exacto and transfer them to the cab. It helps if you pre- trace the window shape on the styrene.

ok, I need some help here. these mirrors are a pain in the butt. any ideas on how to assemble them without wrecking my paint work? so far, I have one mirror glued to the C frame, and have the rest of the parts for that mirror cleaned up and chrome 'scraped' in the proper areas for gluing, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out a way to get them together without wrecking something. any thoughts??

Using super glue eliminates scraping chrome. I use super glue transferred with a tooth pick to control the amount. I use Loctite 495 great stuff...

I'm all eyes and ears on this question. One of the most difficult assemblies a modeler can encounter!

Hey Tom...What I've done in the past is get all parts ready for gluing, then attach the bottom frame for the mirror to the cab. I let that dry overnight the build the mirror from there. It is time consuming ,but Ive had good luck with that approach

Jeff, that's a great idea, my only problem with doing that is figuring the height of the whole mirror, as I am building each of these kits for the first time, and the destructions are vague as far as placement, I'd hate to get the mirror bracket too low on the door.

Anthony, yes I do, are you hinting at pinning parts?

thanks for the ideas guys, I did get them together and mounted on the truck. I went with Carls super glue suggestion, and opened a white western star kit to use the cab for reference. I started by gluing the mirror itself into the C frame, then glued that to the lower bracket, then added the upper bracket. before it 'set', I let it tack up, then set it on the other cab [had the cab propped up on it's side so it was 'level'] so I could get the mirror assembly close to a proper fit, then let it dry.

here is where I ended up,

photo_zps8a748b37.jpg

I managed to finish up the truck today, still need to complete the trailer, but look for an under glass thread soon....