Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

ahhhh Joe, if only the painting will come that easily to me.  :P   It's the one thing that continues to torment me.......when the air brush flows, I feel like I'm in Vegas and am just gambling away.   we'll see.   Today I started the chutes beginning with the bracket. Next I'll solder the tubes on the chassis and get the bracket mounted.  This was the better part of the day and a few joints need some minor clean-up but it turned out well enough to move on.  I'm making twin Simpson pneumatic chutes as an fyi.  cheers

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Chutes 072

the "birdcage" is made of .5mm rod

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Chutes 076

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Chutes 035

Thank you gentlemen and Joe, good one with the "rack" giggle.   To answer Dave's question, the rod is .5mm  (half millimeter) it was the best compromise to replicate the actual 3/8" that they use on the 1:1 cars.  Cheers fellas! 

What a work of ART! !! Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. One of the Greatest build's I have ever seen. You have a talent that I could only dream about. I've been following your build for a little while and wanted to say thank you for sharing this with us.      Jeff 

Thanks guys.....and Jeff (louie) be sure to check out Comp1839's dragster build he's doing now and then his photobucket account........THAT is the best there is (IMO), but I appreciate your sentiments I assure you.  Got the chute launchers done.  I didn't have any printers plate ( I like how it worked for Brad)  so I dropped by Lowe''s and bought their aluminum gutter flashing.  I liked how it worked for this application. Nothing is permanently affixed just yet. The whole assembly is just a hair over 1 & 1/4" long.  Cheers, tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Chute Launchers 005

Henry J Twin Turbo Chute Launchers 017

Joe - I'm embarrassed by the amount of time it has taken me to get these done.  That secret will go with me to the grave.........

Brad - Thank you......I don't know how different the flashing is compared to printers plate but it worked v. well for this application.  

Tony -  Appreciate the comparison but it's truly unwarranted.  Dave is simply in another league....must be lonely there but that's what happens when one is THAT good. I mean that most sincerely as I can't even fathom doing some of the things he does.  I've said before and consider myself blessed to have met a mentor that is willing to share and teach &  who has become a friend as well. 

Dave (GoatGuy) yeah it looks fragile but after getting the brackets on the frame today and mounting the cage to it, I can share that it's extremely rigid and secure. The actual rod I used is 1/3rd larger than the real deal with regard to scale but I couldn't find any .38mm rod so I used the half millimeter.

To everyone else, many thanks and before I post the latest pics, I'd like to wish one and all a HAPPY THANKSGIVING with your friends and family.  Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Chutes 073

THE CHUTE LAUNCHERS are NOT attached to the frame yet as I haven't decided what finish to apply just yet.  The joints are NOT cleaned up yet, that will be next.  The frame slips easily on and off and I'm going with a cool gold chute release cable that I found in my parts box.  The chute, CO2 and release lines will be added upon final assembly.  

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Chutes 040

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Chutes 021

Looking ahead, I took a little time to experiment making a flared "chimney" out of brass.  The top brackets that the chute cage slips onto and the upper wing support rods will have to pass through the brass trunk lid, so I want to finish them off with something that is a bit more aerodynamic and "finished" approach than just leaving holes exposed in the trunk lid.  I think they'll work.

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Chutes 136

Sorry, one more pic...shows from above how tight the wing brackets have to squeeze between the chute cage and wing bracket. 

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Chutes 091

Edited by Codi

HOLY SMOKES!!.........man, that is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

tim, let's just agree to disagree. i think you're in a league of your own here. you do what i do........only three times smaller!!!!!!!  it makes me very happy to have helped some one like you along your way but, make no mistake.............. you have earned your stripes 3 fold. awesome work my friend.......awesome.