Model Cars Magazine Forum

Like the title and tags state, I got two questions. One, does anyone know where I can find a picture referance to the latest Replicas & Minitures releses. Two, I have tried casting taillights with 5 min. epoxy and two drops of red food color. The results where OK but nothing to write home about, too dark & opaque. I only need two, I want them clear red & I don't want to spend money on bottles of resin dye, I'm cheap. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There's a fotki page with many of the R&M products shown (2011), as you probably already know, but that's about it...as far as I know. http://public.fotki.com/crstan/replican-and-miniat/replicas-and-miniat-1/spring-2011-catalog/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes "cheap" and "good results" are mutually exclusive. Good luck with that.

Maybe cut back to only one drop of food coloring instead of two? Even cheaper. :D

Depending on the shape, you might be able to whittle them out of an old red toothbrush handle.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have tried casting taillights with 5 min. epoxy and two drops of red food color. The results where OK but nothing to write home about, too dark & opaque. I only need two, I want them clear red & I don't want to spend money on bottles of resin dye, I'm cheap. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First, I wouldn't use 5-minutes epoxy for that. It cures a bit "rubbery" and tacky. I use the 12 or 24 hour cure stuff for things like this. But if it's working for you, drive on.

If you can't get the epoxy dyed to suit you, just cast the parts clear and then paint them with Model Master Acryl Clear Red. I've found this stuff is GREAT for taillights.

I see that others here have had good luck tinting clear plastic to red with a red Sharpie. Haven't tried that yet myself but I plan to. Might take several applications. Give that a try.

Bill E. ---- Thanks for the link to the Craig Stansfields 2011 R & M catalog. I'm building Revells Datsun 510, with the moulded

in tail lights and would like to keep the surface detail.

Joe ------- Thanks for the suggestion, but like I told Bill E., the tail lights where moulded in and I cut them out without any thought

as to what next.

Bill G. ---- Your links were older than Bill E.'s link but include pictures. Thanks anyway. Buy the way, I like your YouTube channel.

Snake45 -- Thanks for the tip on the epoxy, I see what you mean about rubbery, the 5 min. stuff I used has filally hardened

(only took 4 days).

I'll let y'all know how the next batch turns out.

get a catalogue from Norm; it has photos of pretty much all the parts he himself offers. I make that distinction because he carries a bunch of other stuff too that might not be pictured.

I make taillights with 5 min epoxy with a bit of Tamiya clear red mixed in. then if it turns out too light and subtle, which it often does, I color over the top with a red sharpie pen. also back your lenses with something either painted chrome silver or covered in BMF for more reflectivity and a lighter overall look.

can't hardly see them here and in this mockup photo the bezels are a bit too thick, but these are some taillights I made that way with brass bezels:

alhf.jpg

jb