Model Cars Magazine Forum

foiling trim

Here's another good tutorial, though there is occasionally some controversy over the type of cotton swab to use for burnishing (possible fuzz residue). Tamiya brand is often recommended.

http://www.italianhorses.net/Tutorials/BareMetalFoil/bmf.htm

I've used plain ol' Q-Tips for burnishing the chrome without any issues.

The best way to learn Dwayne is just do it and develop your own method. You're obviously a talented builder. So, I don't think you'll have a problem catching on. I can give you a quick and dirty to get you started.

First, study your subject and take notes where the joints in the trim on the real car are. This is where you want your joints in your foil to be.

Make sure your trim is nice and smooth. I sand mine with 2000 grit.

Cut strips of foil on your sheet of foil 1/8 to 3/16 wide for normal trim. Wider of course for wider trim.

Measure the length of your trim and add a 1/4 inch for excess.

Pull your foil up slowly and carefully. Before you pull up the last 1/2 inch, place your finger on the 1/2 inch and tug it gently two or three times straight away from your finger. This gets rid of most of the wrinkles created by pulling up the foil.

Place one end of foil on your trim and rub your finger on it to get the end stuck. Then pull the foil as you rub your finger over the remaining foil.

People use all kinds of things to burnish foil with. There's even a tool you can buy. Personally, I won't use any kind of cotton swab to burnish foil down. I use a toothpick with the end slightly dulled/rounded with sandpaper and have a fine chiseled end on the other end. I use the dull end to go around the perimeter of my trim just so I see where the edge is. I take the chiseled end to get the foil down in the corners nicely. I never burnish or rub the foil past the trim I'm covering. You don't want it stuck well where you're going to be pulling it up. Once I get it burnished well with the toothpick, I trim it with a new/sharp Xacto blade. Then, I take a piece of cotton cloth, place it over my finger and rub the foil firmly. This gives it a good final burnish as well as polishes the foil to a nice shine.

The more you do it, the better you will get at it. You will also develop your own techniques that suit you best. Mine may work for you. They may not. My father always said, "You can read every book there is about driving a nail with a hammer. It still don't mean you know how to do it. You have to put a hammer in your hand start driving nails with it."

Edited by plowboy