Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrushes

The only thing I'll say is one of the reasons I use a siphon feed air brush is the fact that I use a lot of MCW paints. Pop the lid onto the jar, & you're good to go. When I'm done, I don't have to clean cups or jars, just the brush. Plus any detailing paint I have left, I store in airbrush jars. Keeps forever & when I'm ready to use it again, Just screw on the lid & go. One of these days I would like to get a cheap gravity feed brush just for the small quick jobs when I don't need much paint or where I'll be doing several color changes. But for painting bodies & such, there's nothing wrong with my trusty old Badger. By the way, I run MCW "airbrush cleaner" through mine all of the time. It's some pretty wicked stuff! If it doesn't destroy the seals, nothing will! Steve

MCW?

Airbrushed are like backsides - we all have them...wha?

Oh. I have two Iwatas - one gravity, one siphon. I use the gravity feed 95% of the time. I just like the way it sprays better - same volume but with lower pressure. It's also easier for me to clean - it doesn't have the nooks and crannies like the siphon's bottle attachment.

I had a NEO (which is an Iwata product, but not really an Iwata AB - cheaper product) and I hated it. Worked fine for awhile but after the first thorough cleaning, one of the tiny rubber grommets was toast. I also had trouble keeping a tight seal on the nozzle which caused sputtering and spitting. No reason to deal with all that when the real Iwata ABs have higher quality parts and are pressure sealed rather than relying on rubber grommets. Just my two pennies...

If I can recommend some airbrush gun.... After years of model making I start worked with Harder&Steenbeck Infinity 2in1. It is absolutely the best airbrush gun... for me. I worked with Fengda, Iwata, Schneider.... but H&S Infinity is best. For details or alclad you can use 0,15 mm nozzle and for bigger things is here 0,4mm. To make a change of nozzles and needles is question of 20 seconds. It is very good and friendly to cleaning. And of course seals are teflon ( I normally use high aggresive car base color). Problem is only one - price. Or try to Hansa ( it is daughter factory of H&S).

This is a tutorial from one of the guys on F1M. He does some really great models and has some great tips. However this video is about spraying primer through an airbrush. If you pay close attention to his comments about airbrushes, you can really learn a lot. In the latter part, he is using a small touchup gun(Iwata RG-3). He does a very good job of explaining why he uses it. I have a slightly different version the LHP-50 HVLP. He does a far better job of explaining these guns than I do, but the results and the reason for using them are the same. Worth a look!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-v7-Wp6no

Very informative. Excellent guitar too. I'm going to start by trying to tune up my old Badger 350, or at least to troubleshoot it. Maybe all I need is another nozzle. And I will follow the advice here and select one for primers, and another for colors and maybe a third one for clears.