Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Ferrari 512S Shortail kit engine options

Hi all,

First, its a pleasure to be here as I get intimate with one of my passions in youth, scale model kits!

I was wondering about engine kits for the Fujimi 512S kit. I recently bought a beautiful Fujimi Ferrari 330 P4 and an optional HRM Engine/Suspension kit for it (model number HRM-305).

It seems that both cars had a V12 with a similar layout so I was wondering that if with some work, I could fit the same HRM kit into the 512S?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Welcome to the forum. Your post will probably be relocated to the questions / answers topic down in the Modeling How-Tos area...in case it goes missing.

With enough work, you can make anything fit pretty much anything. But if I recall correctly, the 512 was an entirely different engine from that used in the P4 (as was the gearbox). One immediately obvious difference is that the fuel injectors are between the exhaust and intake cams on the 330 (and cant outwards somewhat), but are in the center of the engine between the heads on the 512 (and are vertical). There are many other visual differences as well. The rear chassis and suspension, while roughly similar in general layout, are also entirely different (IIRC).

If you want to build an accurate model of the 512, the 330 guts won't cut it. BUT, if you want to build a car that could POSSIBLY have been put together from factory bits, then by all means, go for it.

Part of the fun of this hobby (to me) is the "what if?" aspect, where you can put together cars that COULD have been built...but never were.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I THINK the Italeri 512S has also been boxed as Heller,Testors and Union kits. In general (and I'm pretty critical) I've been happy with offerings from all of them (I have several kits from each manufacturer in stock, but no 512S). Right off hand, I don't know who did the original tooling. Both Testors and Union are often re-issues of out of production kits from other manufacturers.

Here's a look inside the Testors box (which I'm 99% certain is identical to the Italeri version).

$_57.JPG

And here's a look at the engine / wheel / suspension trees in the Heller kit...

$_57.JPG

They appear identical to me.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy