Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opening Models

Ok, I have a question. When I got transfered to Cali, I found the Millinium edition of a '63 Studebaker. The wife wanted it to stay sealed because we currently have a real one. Was I wrong in breaking the seal and building it? DO any onf you guys have any sealed models that are on display and not build them?

My motto is, Models are made to be built, not sealed in the box and selved. Is this right?

Hey Jones,

Your right, I can hardly get out of the Hobby shop before opening my kits. I have some (4 I think) that are still sealed, but only because I have doubles of those kits, and Intend on building every one of em. To do that I will need to quit working, or live till I'm 120 years old. I have around 250 kits, and get more almost daily.

I consider myself lucky that my wife supports me in this hobby. She even paid for the Mustang GT 350H that I picked up yesterday at michaels.

Its cool to have a sealed kit. but the rule is; for every sealed kit you have, you must have the same kit to build. LOL

Build on!

Ron

Edited by RJWood

Hey Jones,

Your right, I can hardly get out of the Hobby shop before opening my kits. I have some (4 I think) that are still sealed, but only because I have doubles of those kits, and Intend on building every one of em. To do that I will need to quit working, or live till I'm 120 years old. I have around 250 kits, and get more almost daily.

I consider myself lucky that my wife supports me in this hobby. She even paid for the Mustang GT 350H that I picked up yesterday at michaels.

Its cool to have a sealed kit. but the rule is; for every sealed kit you have, you must have the same kit to build. LOL

Build on!

Ron

I agree with that, and as for 250 models, I thought i was bad for having 25 model kits to do. And i have no hobbyshops close by and Wal Mart is discontinuing their model section. So I'm sunk

My Friend, as long as you have a computer, your not sunk. I signed up at ebay on Thanksgiving weekend and have got 18 kits so far, have 2 more paid for and expect to see them some time this week. I have also got models from the many online hobby shops like Model Roundup, Modelexpress, Tower hobbys. Their are plenty of great hobby related sites to buy kits from. Just search for the best price in the comfort of your home. As for wal-mart, The one's in my area never had much of a selection to choose from, and never had any new releases. so I don't have any checkerboard kits.

Ron

I am about 50/50. When I get a new kit that I do not have in my collection I have a tendency to open it up but I just cut three side of the wrap and leave the wrapper on the top of the box(to protect it??) If I get more than one of any kit I do not open it unless I am going to build it right away. I have approx 1600 unbuilt kits in the basement but most of my modeling is dedicated to re-builds of gluebombs and junkers so most of my un-built collection is just that...a collection. Will I stop buying new kits because I have so many?? Nope, it is like my little legal plastic drug habit and I cannot stop!!!LOL!!!! Should you have opened it, heck yea!!! Its your hobby so you should do what you want with it!!! I have a friend who paid almost $200.00 at a show ( I think Toledo) for a rare '60s model kit and opened it up right there to see it. I guess the seller and all the people around just about passed out. I understand my friends point of view because he is a builder and buys kits only to build. He wanted to build this kit but was unable to get one for many years and was never re-released. Well thats his hobby. I am a builder/collector. I do build but I have my collection as well that I may never build though when I buy them I do "intend" to build them. But to keep it real will I ever build 1600 model kits. Probley not. KT

Edited by KT EASTMAN

My Friend, as long as you have a computer, your not sunk. I signed up at ebay on Thanksgiving weekend and have got 18 kits so far, have 2 more paid for and expect to see them some time this week. I have also got models from the many online hobby shops like Model Roundup, Modelexpress, Tower hobbys. Their are plenty of great hobby related sites to buy kits from. Just search for the best price in the comfort of your home. As for wal-mart, The one's in my area never had much of a selection to choose from, and never had any new releases. so I don't have any checkerboard kits.

Ron

I'm not sunk in models, I'm sunk in supplies. We have a Michaels about 45 minutes away. and plus I am so broke its not even funny

Yeah, I only have a couple sealed kits that are dups. Most kits do not come sealed it's a US Phenomenon that US and US Importers do. The hobby store I worked in once upon a time had to seal and shrink-wrap most of all the import kits. Furthermore, it's the prized sealed kit that someday someone will open only to discover a problem with the kit: badly warped, missing parts, wrong kit in the box, or other problem

Trading cards are for collecting, models are for building. :lol:

I'm not sunk in models, I'm sunk in supplies. We have a Michaels about 45 minutes away. and plus I am so broke its not even funny

Tower hobbies has a good selection of supplies, several brands of paint, glue, evergreen plastic, brushes, tools etc. Good prices, good service and flat rate shipping.

Sorry can't help you with the broke part, been there and that is no fun.

Edited by Aaronw

Trading cards are for collecting, models are for building. :lol:

Tower hobbies has a good selection of supplies, several brands of paint, glue, evergreen plastic, brushes, tools etc. Good prices, good service and flat rate shipping.

Sorry can't help you with the broke part, been there and that is no fun.

Yeah i know it sucks but we should be getting out of the slump here soon

Yeah i know it sucks but we should be getting out of the slump here soon

I keep some duplicates unopened just because. As you speak of the Studebaker that you have you need to read the history of Studebaker Corp, All They Ever Asked For. I have some assembled and unassembled Studes., As a young man I had several 1:1 and dad had Studebaker trucks on the farm. You would find the book interesting.

It really depends on the particular kit and its value or potential. In the past I have sold two sealed kits for $250.00 each. One was a '61 Chevy hardtop ( before Lindbergs ) and a '61 Ford hardtop. The Studebaker kit in question, will probably never be of great value because of the potential re-releases in the future. The make of the kit also makes a difference. A promo '63 split-window Vette has a value of somewhere of $400, a '63 Rambler goes for about $40.00. Both of these promos sold for the same price when new.

But, value is only one consideration. I once tookl a promo '58 ford convertible and customized it. In the first contest that I entered it into ( no, did not win it ) I was asked several times why I would do such a thing. My answer was ......................"because it was mine and I wanted to"

bob

It really depends on the particular kit and its value or potential. In the past I have sold two sealed kits for $250.00 each. One was a '61 Chevy hardtop ( before Lindbergs ) and a '61 Ford hardtop. The Studebaker kit in question, will probably never be of great value because of the potential re-releases in the future. The make of the kit also makes a difference. A promo '63 split-window Vette has a value of somewhere of $400, a '63 Rambler goes for about $40.00. Both of these promos sold for the same price when new.

But, value is only one consideration. I once tookl a promo '58 ford convertible and customized it. In the first contest that I entered it into ( no, did not win it ) I was asked several times why I would do such a thing. My answer was ......................"because it was mine and I wanted to"

bob

There is nothing more satisfying than opening that box and reviewing the part trees and pondering the build sequence. And then of course, the details to be added. Need to order the photoetch detail set. Hmm, this car would look great in metallic blue, must order the paint. Do I have enough bare metal foil. Best order some. If I get the body cleaned and primed, I can probably paint outside in April when it's warm enough, but not too humid.

Or you could look at the pretty pictures on the box and wonder what's inside.

So much plastic, so little time !

Well I have 4 I'm not sure about building,

1/ Revell Ford Country Squire.... I love the box and the idea of wagon kits, but Modelhaus make a 1 piece bodied version

2/ monogram Rommel's Rod....Memories, the first hot rod kit I ever bought also my transition kit from military modeling to cars

3/ Monogram Sizzler(original)....Bought this because someone said it was worth a bit $$$ still, a nice drag kit from the 60s

4/ MPC Dodge Monarco on a funny turntable. bought this because it was cheap, £5 in UK

I love to build any kit but I have been told these might help me out if I'm short of cash ;)

I have somr that are still sealed and on Display. Most of the time I open the kit if it is one I didn't have or it is a new relase. Since i have over 1000 kits most of them are sill sealed though but i open them if i am going to build one and need a part for another project.

I definately would not build the Revell Country Squire. The original can never be re-released because the mold was changed too many times in the production of the Ranchero. Many of the "old" collectibles are available in resin form for anyone who wants to build a particular model. If you are a builder who has collectible kits, sell them to a collector and buy something else. It is a win-win situation, he has the kits (s) that he wants and you have his money to buy something else.

bob

It's against the law here in Hawai'i to leave a hobby shop parking lot with the kit still in the plastic sealed wrapper.

No kiddin', there's a cop in our club who will enforce it!!!!!

It depends to me on what you want to do with it.

I would rather have it opened, so you know what the kit is like inside after all these years.

That way, the potential buyer/bidder knows what they are getting,and make it known that it was sealed, you opened it to see shape/condition of kit

I have been burned many times buying a "sealed" kit, to find out it either it was resealed, or the kit was warped/damaged

Just my too sense

I open everyone I get, just to make sure it is not damaged. I also separate the parts so bodies don't warp, tires don't touch anything else,decals, windows and anything else does not get damaged. I think we become collectors by default. Most of us buy with the intenion to build everyone we buy or use parts from a kit . When we get older and have a few hundred kits, that's when we know we have a sickness called plastic dependency. Without new plastic to smell I would fade away.

i have heard the old saying " alcohol is fer drinkin, gas is fer warshin' parts, and nitro is fer racin".... i say do whatcha want!!! i have 2 reletively ( well 1 now) rare kits that i paid top coin for, and promptly opened them. I thought the seller was gunna ###### his skivvies!! One is the old AMT 1962 Mercury Meteor custom series, and the other was the origional MPC L.A. Dart. I plan to build the Mercury sometime before i die, and right now, i really don't have immediate plans for the L.A. dart.

I'm a builder, not a collecter. Even if I have no plans for the kit, I still open it just to see what it is like, or to see if there are any parts I can use on other builds. I don't have a single sealed kit. I do have a few kits stashed a way, for when my skills improve. I have the Proshop 57 Chevrolet Belair, the one with the photo-etched parts, hidden away. I still intend to build it, just not anytime soon. ;)