Model Cars Magazine Forum

What cool trucks (rigs or pick ups) have you seen lately?

Franck, those are some really cool looking trucks. I'm not that familiar with European trucks, what are some of those? The Volvo show truck, are those miners on the murals?

Vive la France!

Yes the "paint" on the Volvo represents Miners, in rememberance of the coal mines exploited in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais till the 90's and the hard life of their workers and families had.

Concerning the truck pics, I'm not an expert, so it will be very global :

the 1st one is a Volvo F 88 (Sweden) produced from 1965 to 1977, a real success story in Europe.

The 2nd one is a Scania 111 (Sweden) from 1958(L75) to +/- end of the 70's (111)

The 3rd one is a Hanomag-Henschel F 221 (Germany) the company no longer exist and was bought by Mercedes

The 4th is a Berliet (France) TR 280 : 1978 to 90's. The company is under RENAULT flag since 1978 but the cab design of this truck was used until the early 90's with some face liftings and improvements

the 5th is a SAVIEM (France) TP170 : belongs to RENAULT since 1955 In fact four companies were grouped under SAVIEM brand : Latil-Renault-Somua-Floirat

Will be continued...

Edited by le_marbrier

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best pictures but this was my Dad's rig.

Had many of good times going across Canada with him during summer breaks. Worked darn hard but was paid well. I bought the blue pickup (was totally stock) and by the time I was 17 I had it the way it looked here. I miss both trucks a lot!!!

The Eagle was running a 8V silver 92 . For a while had straight pipes. With that long exhaust it was music to the ears.

Scan-121111-0006_zpsvryivhue.jpg

Scan-121111-0005_zpst6h4b76n.jpg

That is awesome, Brent.....I built a model similar to that one a while back.....Hope to show it, this spring at contest.....I used a Freightliner for mine, though.....Built it similar to this one.....

SAM_46121024x565_zpse3f1b68b.jpg

Most of the guys have seen the thread, but here it is, if you're interested....

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93773

Edited by kilrathy10

Awesome builds JT!!!

My Dad had his drom set up with a gas generator (generator sat under the sleeper of the truck center of the frame) If you look at the truck you can see a smaller fuel tank. This was a gas tank. That tank would last an entire trip across Canada. It was a pretty cool set up. The drom had a false wall and floor and had electric heat. He had a squirrel fan set to push the air through the false wall and floor which allowed heat to be circulated through out the drom. With the Canadian winters customers could not take their plants or canned goods etc. Anything that would freeze had to be left behind. This "Heated" service was well received and was very popular.

The big reef on the side of the drom was his National Van foreman of the year award. He won many provincial Van foreman awards but the National one was a pretty cool deal.

In the summer months he would remove the false wall and floor. He could fit one small sized apartment of furniture in the drom.

He sometimes had front axle weight issues depending what he had in the drom. He came up with the idea of installing a solenoid so he could dump the air out of the rear air bags on the back axle. As he rolled up to the scale he'd flip a switch and he could pick up 1000.00 LBS off of the front axle LOL. Sneaky LOL

Another job I had was keeping all that Aluminium polished up. Back then all you had was the bar type polish and you had to work at it. The products available now make it soooo easy. (I have a snowmobile I keep polished up). I wish the products were available back then. Would have made life much easier. He'd be back for a few days and have to take off again right away. Sometimes I'd only get half the truck done. As long as it was the drivers side he was happy LOL. That was the side he saw most.....

Edited by Brent

Very cool Farmall! my Dad was leased to North American for a little over 40 years in their electronics division,me,I was with Atlas for 22 years,so the moving and storage industry is near and dear to me!.........................Mark

Sean:

And drom boxes were mostly used for what movers call "overflow" (what doesn't fit in the trailer) and a lot of "oddball" items (bicycles,patio furniture,garden tools etc.) every inch of room in a moving van counts,so there has to room for everything,if one truck has to leave something behind,it's money off the bill! many guys also used their droms for excess equipment Pads,dollies,hand trucks,packing materials etc. hope this answers your question.........................Mark

Great shots of those rigs, Clayton....Amazing what you can haul these days.....And that Lonestar is just beautiful....And to be honest, that's a really GOOD picture....."Poster on the wall" worthy....It, seriously, looks like you got it from a brochure....Excellent shot.....

Awesome builds JT!!!

My Dad had his drom set up with a gas generator (generator sat under the sleeper of the truck center of the frame) If you look at the truck you can see a smaller fuel tank. This was a gas tank. That tank would last an entire trip across Canada. It was a pretty cool set up. The drom had a false wall and floor and had electric heat. He had a squirrel fan set to push the air through the false wall and floor which allowed heat to be circulated through out the drom. With the Canadian winters customers could not take their plants or canned goods etc. Anything that would freeze had to be left behind. This "Heated" service was well received and was very popular.

The big reef on the side of the drom was his National Van foreman of the year award. He won many provincial Van foreman awards but the National one was a pretty cool deal.

In the summer months he would remove the false wall and floor. He could fit one small sized apartment of furniture in the drom.

He sometimes had front axle weight issues depending what he had in the drom. He came up with the idea of installing a solenoid so he could dump the air out of the rear air bags on the back axle. As he rolled up to the scale he'd flip a switch and he could pick up 1000.00 LBS off of the front axle LOL. Sneaky LOL

Sounds like your dad was a pretty savvy sort of player back in the day.....Shade tree engineering at it's best.....Impeccable ingenuity....

Edited by kilrathy10

Thanks man. I used my S5 active from the drivers seat of my car. Guess I kinda missed my calling as a photographer.

Lol....That's pretty good.....It sure is one heck of a shot, Man....I know I'm impressed....I may have to blow it up, myself and put it on MY wall....

It's that good....