Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jus' call me Bonehead!

hey guys...this is sure a user-friendly site, better than others I won't mention. i have been building and collecting all types of scale replicas since i was 6...and just turned 63. I worked in a hobby shop for manyyears, and thus collected many kits over the years...sold half of them to finance my house...and still have 1500 left. the display area has over 900 built models and i am out of room. The photos show what used to be a "dining room" but now is all shelves. I started building very young; my first 3-in-1 was a 1960 Ford...I was super happy when AMT redid it. I'm sure I won't die with the most toys, but I have a few. Note the photo dates; i have added many more since then!!! And my bedroom has several more shelves [acked with finished cars,, and the walls are covered with over 5,000 Hot Wheels

post-14800-0-04712100-1418456975_thumb.j

post-14800-0-85259700-1418456985_thumb.j

Edited by bonehead23

welcome, looks like you need to hire a full time dusting lady with unlimited swiffers lol that collection is so huge its probly impossible to keep dust free

i would be divorced if i did that to our home lol

Now when we do get a house finally my garage (man cave) its fair game !

Thanks for the comments. I must admit that dusting these things is totally a monster job. Some of them are very old, and have endured several moves involving packing many big boxes with layers of towels between layers of cars. Some damage usually happens...and since they suffered through a lot of dust, kitchen grease, carbonated beverage spots from the kids' partying and the like, after the last two moves, many of the older ones did not get cleaned and have a velvet-like coating that only comes off with a soft rag and a bit of soap and water, then a polishing. i am guilty of getting old and lazy. Also years ago, the ex said, "when are you going to quit playing with those toys?" I replied, "When I'm dead". She divorced me in 1995 and that is when the collection REALLY exploded and continues to expand...and collect dust! I could use a cleaning lady but only if she knows (or wants to) how to handle fragile old models!, Or a fragile old cranky plastic addict. I am doubtful and reluctant to change, and do not know of any female who would put up with the entire house decorated in automotive and aircraft scale replicas. Each and every one, down to the last mediocre example, are my babies.

I wasn't expecting such a response! Thanks, bro's...and by the way, I have been called "Bonehead" ever since my rock and roll past...I had a 1971 Fender Telecaster,mint condition, and around 1997 I was playing at a pig roast party...drank almost a whole fifth of Yaegermeister, and saw a hammer on the stage...so i grabbed the hammer and started doing "hammer-ons"....with a real hammer! The next practice day when i pulled the poor thing out of its case, several strings were broken, and the neck was full of hammer dents making it impossible to play ever again...and the drummer looked at it and said, "YOU BONEHEAD!!!".....and It stuck. I had the Tele rebuilt, and now it NEVER gets played, just displayed. Now I use a 2004 Strat and a 2006 Gibson SG standard...two replaceable workhorses not worth near as much as that '71Telecaster....

Edited by bonehead23

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. I must admit that dusting these things is totally a monster job. Some of them are very old, and have endured several moves involving packing many big boxes with layers of towels between layers of cars. Some damage usually happens...and since they suffered through a lot of dust, kitchen grease, carbonated beverage spots from the kids' partying and the like, after the last two moves, many of the older ones did not get cleaned and have a velvet-like coating that only comes off with a soft rag and a bit of soap and water, then a polishing. i am guilty of getting old and lazy. Also years ago, the ex said, "when are you going to quit playing with those toys?" I replied, "When I'm dead". She divorced me in 1995 and that is when the collection REALLY exploded and continues to expand...and collect dust! I could use a cleaning lady but only if she knows (or wants to) how to handle fragile old models!, Or a fragile old cranky plastic addict. I am doubtful and reluctant to change, and do not know of any female who would put up with the entire house decorated in automotive and aircraft scale replicas. Each and every one, down to the last mediocre example, are my babies.

One of the reasons I'm probably going to remain single. I'm sure there are some special women out there that get it, but I have yet to meet one.

Welcome aboard.

Charlie Larkin