Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvair-powered gasser '32

bonehead23

Isn't that the AMT parts pack frame?

One of my projects is putting a front mounted Corvair engine in a Monogram Beer Wagon.

What transmission did you use?

Yes, you are right about the frame...I did build another rod using the Mummy..but I forgot which one! The tranny is just some old GM parts box unit! Wish I knew...but I have a lot of parts on hand I have slim idea where they came from!

Cool!

Where'd you get your decals.

All I can tell you is they were very old AMT decals. I have a large box full of them. Friends have "donated" their childhood collections to me in the past, and I never throw anything away. In one bunch were many decal sheets, but only a model trivia champ would know where they came from! The "Corvair" decal came from a 1960 3-in-1 kit. The rest are, like, ???????

Creative and a powerplant I'd never considered......until now.

What others have you built?

Dusty P.

Revell's "Meter Cheater", "Dr. Krook's Medicine Show", and the "T-Bone Stake", all Corvair rods, a crazy loking Revell dune buggy that looks like a shrunken 'Vette (Can't remember the name) And a '29 Mercedes with a "Vair mounted in front like the dragster. Curiously enough, I do not have a Corvair on the shelf; i am anxious to get the '69 and Chezoom, add a trailer and have a Race team ala "Vair.

Not to hijack Bonehead's thread, but here's another fast Corvair-powered vehicle. This one was built by a fellow up in the Detroit area, and utilizes Weber carbs (IIRC).

I really like to see more Corvair engines in interesting concepts, whether models or 1:1.

post-10758-0-08759900-1419125982_thumb.j

Edited by ToyLvr

All I can tell you is they were very old AMT decals. I have a large box full of them. Friends have "donated" their childhood collections to me in the past, and I never throw anything away. In one bunch were many decal sheets, but only a model trivia champ would know where they came from! The "Corvair" decal came from a 1960 3-in-1 kit. The rest are, like, ???????

Very nice idea, and in order for that to be a gasser you would need the stock fenders, running boards and headlights also.

...And a rear bumper / push bar.

But really good looking build overall. Using a Corvair power plant is a great idea for sure. I've never considered it either, but looks like it can be installed in a '32 Ford too. Good job.

Holy Moley! that's some crazy corvair engine there! might be a little over aspirated!

'vair motors pop up all over the place. did you know Ed Roth's Road Agent was Corvair powered?

NpdmLB.jpg

0K8qTU.jpg

jb

Yup, and isn't it a thing of beauty??? I regret not getting more than one of these; that chassis is excellent!

• 1 month later...