Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another GT40 build

Sweet ... that body is a beauty. The decals look nice and flat and opaque ... what problem were they?

Is the whiskey glass a before or after pic?

There are louvers and door guides on the roof that the stripes go over and they didn't want contour over those areas very well. The number circle on the hood peices is off a bit too. 

No whiskey involved unfortunately. 

Therearelouver

what did I do wrong there?

you did it right Tim ...  I was making a stupid joke about me 'using' whiskey as a production 'method' and screwing up the decals as compared to your fine work ...

the number circle in the back looked very difficult to do as it matched the wraparound on the right brake scoop [thanks Cato] and I think you did a great job 

Oh, ok. Thanks. My modeling skills aren't where I would like them to be. So I'm always looking for suggestions. I clearcoated all of the parts separately this afternoon. Most of them turned out pretty well except for the nose and the doors had some areas where the black was kind of transparent to the white primer and plastic.

2016-01-30 18.32.48.jpg

2016-01-30 18.32.11.jpg

2016-01-30 18.31.16.jpg

Edited by Timonator

Tim, is that the clearcoat hazing or did you miss seeing that in the color coat? What type of clearcoat did you use?

It's sort of a neat effect for weathering (without the gloss) ... but if you want to fix it, and it's an acrylic, you can use diluted ammonia to take some off and repaint if needed ... but I wouldn't go near those decals!

Hopefully someone here who's expert at this stuff can help you more ... I'm not close to being a paint guru

Good luck!

I think something happened to the basecoat but that was the last batch of parts and my clear was mixed over an hour before that. Im using automotive urethane clear over tamiya acrylic basecoat. What I'm going to do is sand the peices flst with 2000 grit, mask of the decals and spot in the bad areas and clear again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...