Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Transtar 4300 eagle and Peerless Logging Trailer

This thread is formerly called:

Wouldn't you know it, I can build a truck too..........

Just as a heads up it was meant as in I can build a truck as well as cars and NOT I can build a truck it ain't that hard. These are just as tough as making a Star Trek kit look good.

So I can build a truck too apparently. This represents just a couple of days worth of work. Haven't done a truck before. I had my ones for Christmas, and waiting on brakes for one of them somehow has stalled that out. The stretch on another has been giving me a headache(figured out now though). So I had some extra dough form some winnings at work at a team competition, so I ran down to the hobby shop to pick up the Logging Trailer and the White Road Boss. When I got there I saw they had gotten the Diamond Reo in. Then there it was I saw it. International Transtar kit. I grabbed it to go with the trailer. She's going SANS sleeper obviously.

Yellow cab, with stock decals. Red frame, red trailer. The yellow is 2 part lacquer system some kind of Dodge Yellow, that's realy close to Cat Yellow(which is why I got it in the first place for a Cat engine). The Red is Krylon shortcuts Red Pepper. Which is a pretty little red. Debating on whether or not to do the trailer wheels in Red or have them a contrasting color like the yellow, or the white shown on the box art.

Anyhow this is what I have so far.

20150103_171936_zpsxcexfsy6.jpg

20150103_171925_zpsoy2eurgt.jpg

20150103_171917_zpsb8nka9tz.jpg

20150103_171944_zpsnyhj1a6z.jpg

20150103_175150_zpscbt12hw0.jpg

The yellow is NOT as bright as it looks in the picture.

Edited by fantacmet

The hard part for me is $$. These #$@%@# are expensive. I wouldn't mind digging up the rest of that Iveco Turbostar 2 I bought a few years ago and didn't do anything with.

I've got a RoG Mercedes DLK Firetruck here that I've lost some of the hydraulics for, thinking of converting it to a regular rig. As far as I can tell there is no real difference, in the cab or anything since they released the same thing as a rig. Anyway back to this project. Debating whether to use box decals for logging truck or make my own so I have an Oregon company, even a fictitious one(have to be since this scheme don't jive with anything out there). Somehow feels wrong to use Utah, Washington, or Idaho, being an Oregonian and all.

Man, it could be an outer space based company, if you want it to.....Remember....It's YOUR project......

To be honest, those Italeri/Revell kits are quite good.....Most of the time they're very well appointed......They do use the old reissue tricks and such, but that's sometimes an advantage......Have fun......

And, I'm on a budget, as well....I just have to make sure I really want it, before I buy it....And you can always trade for stuff.....Some of us build cars, too.....As well as other stuff.....I might have something you'd be interested in....Just PM me.....Or post something in the trading section.....

Good luck with this one......It's looking mighty fine....

I've got the means to make decals, but I have to come up with alot of stuff to do it as I'm down to one 8.5x11 inch sheet of decal paper.

I used to make and sell Oregon license plates(not decals) packages of 12 at the LHS. All but one package sold. There's someone else doing the same thing, but his are VERY poor quality. Much like the Verlindon Prpaganda posters which are just low res half tone prints on regular printer paper. The posters I was selling were far superior but since they didn't say Verlindon nobody bought them.

Mike, A good alternative is picking up a Revell snap Pete or KW (1/25) at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They are really nice detail for a snap kit (the cab and sleeper are molded as one piece), the price with a 40% off coupon is around $15.

I do like your paint work and color combo...looks pretty good.

Welcome to the Interstate (or logging road as the case may be)

I don't need an easier alternative. I've been building Cars, Aircraft and Armor for a long time to be sure, thanks be to you though. I do have the Revell Kenworth which will be pulling my 53 foot Moebius Great Dane for awhile. Though the Kenworth has been stretched and smooth deckplates have been added. (aircraft and armor are the only things I build OOB, and even then, rarely).

If you want to take a look at one of the projects I had a bit of fun with try this:

http://s221.photobucket.com/user/redneck_chevy_psychopath/library/IDF%20MUTT

I converted a U.S. MUTT with TOW Launcher, to an IDF MUTT, and added an M1919A4 .30 Caliber Beltfed to it. I built that puppy many years ago. Though the other guy in the GB, who built the same thing was far superior, I was happy with mine.

That and after you've dine a set of individual link tracks(or 5) such as a set of Friul model metal working tracks, Dragon non working static tracks, dragon working 3 piece per link styrene tracks, and a set of model kasten working styrene tracks, the parts in these bigrigs don't scare me easily. The instructions are also a breeze compared to some Dragon or Cyber Modeler instructions.

Edited by fantacmet

Might not be any updates for awhile. I might not even make my sisters wedding next weekend. Some dimwit with no license or insurance totaled my Jeep this morning. It drives all weird, drives sideways, and the two drivers doors don't open anymore, and the unibody is tweaked. 98 Grand Cherokee Limit with the 5.2 V8, 3 inch magnaflow exhaust, and the aluminum intake mod. She runs like a champ, but is worthless for anything now. Can't fix a tweaked unibody.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm liking it! I really like the cab paint and decal colors, really works well together. whole color combo is pretty sweet really.

keep at it, looking good.

hopefully all the other stuff you have going on straightens out soon for you.

Yeah Optimus is 100% COMPLETE, and he cost me 25 bucks. Was MINT condition until my kid got ahold of him and my other Original G1 toys except this Optimus is a repop using the original molds. I want to do a model of a truck/trailer in the paint scheme of Optimus.

Thanks for the compliments. Trying to think of how to get ahold of or make the chain binders. I also lost the drivers side stack too. DOH, gotta work on digging it up, but if worse comes to worse, I have Vacation from 8th through 12th, and I'll clean up around my desk/workbench real good and find it. Probably rolled underneath one of the stands I have around my workdesk(there we go that's a good term).