Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did Someone Mention Marmon Cab Over?

The cab is a Frank Gortsema (now AITM). Dave does not have it available yet. I used a Kenworth Aerodyne for the frame and engine and changed the rear suspension to a Neway air ride, because the kit suspension is a Kenworth proprietary item.

As for being lucky if you own a full size Marmon? Marmon went out of business in 1997, the cabs are aluminum and not much on the chassis except front springs and hangers are Marmon specific. They were quality-low volume custom order trucks, so I guess if you could find a clean one! Lucky works.

Both very nice models of a rare truck, looks pretty good can one of you tell me?;

What do you get: cab, cab acces, glass, interior tub?

How would you rate the quality of COE cab kit from 1 to 10?: resin quality, details, accuracy, overall look.

Is it worth the money.....if still available?

Conventional kit also good?.......(remember seeing this FG kit back in 1988!)

......................Anyone seen a real Marmon on highways lately :lol:

My cab required a lot of priming and block sanding. so much so that I removed the upper doors on the sleeper compartment and fabricated new gutters for the lower doors along with a lot of work with a panel scriber. I also removed the molded in headlights to back date it and fitted K.F.S. slam locks in place of the molded in door handles.

The dash and interior tub are included along with the bumper and a second grill (older peaked style) I used sheet acetate for the glass and the interior was finished using the KW parts. Stacks and wipers are also K.F.S. items and the grab handles are made from .040" 4040 aluminum tig welding filler wire. Dividers between the vent and side windows needed to be fabricated as well. If the cab is to tilt (mine does) some creative engineering will need to be done.

As for a rating, I would give it a good solid 7. If you have never worked with resin conversions before one may rate it lower, but a conversion rating 9 or 10 will cost considerably more. I would recommend building this conversion due to the rareness of the subject and being able to use a fairly inexpensive and easy to find donor.

Like all the other conversions Dave (AITM) has re-released, he has greatly improved. Maybe the 110" Marmon co will be out soon.

If I recall, mine came with the cab shell, interior tub, bumper and a grille option.

I didn't like the molded on headlamps but built it as-is for a magazine resin review.

My plan was to build another with the optional grille and round headlamps and a shorter sleeper.

Someday...

Tim

Both very nice models of a rare truck, looks pretty good can one of you tell me?;

What do you get: cab, cab acces, glass, interior tub?

How would you rate the quality of COE cab kit from 1 to 10?: resin quality, details, accuracy, overall look.

Is it worth the money.....if still available?

Conventional kit also good?.......(remember seeing this FG kit back in 1988!)

......................Anyone seen a real Marmon on highways lately :unsure:

That cab is not currently available but the Quality of AITM's cabs are good. Dave has been improving the molds before he makes them available so if he makes the Marmon's available I would expect them to be of similar quality to his current cabs.

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/

I thought I posted this already? Oh well, here goes again!

1994 Marmon SB57L, 3306 Cat. 8LL trans, #40,000 Eaton rears on Hendrickson RTE and 11.00R-24.5 on spokes.

#16,000 Eaton front axle with #16,000 multi leafs riding on 385/65R22.5

4500 gallon fuel oil tank. Works every day in the winter.

100_3542.jpg