Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Edsel

72 Charger

Hi all Ive been tinkering with this for a little while now and I thought I should do a WIP before I get any ferther along . I got this Edsel from well known top builder Rich Manson ( Ramsfin59)(Thanks Rich) As it was missing a few bits and pieces . Ive wanted to push myself with my painting and fine masking . Here is where im at as of today. Enjoy comments are welcomed :)

post-10436-0-22278700-1421094573_thumb.j

post-10436-0-54969800-1421094598_thumb.j

post-10436-0-65537900-1421094619_thumb.j

post-10436-0-02438200-1421094641_thumb.j

post-10436-0-79824600-1421094658_thumb.j

Thanks Andy .There is one or two wobbly lines that I have to sort out before I can get to paint

Rich Yeh It took about 6 hours to get that far .Still not sure what colour to paint it though .

Im thinking maybe gun metal and charcoal metal flake. Or candy red or possibly electric blue ?

Thanks everyone . Im still trying to work out the plan as to what and how best to paint it :wacko:. Its going to be layered so when I remove the tape I only want to remove certain bits and the recoat then remove some more tapes then recoat again an so on :blink: . So the stripes will be different shades . Well that's the plan but as we all know even the best layed plan can and do go wrong ^_^

Thanks Dale/Lee. Im still stuck on what color to go with :blink: Does anyone else have trouble picking the paint colour or is it just me?

I would say that 95% of the time I have a picture "in my mind's eye" of what color I want a model to be before I even start working on that model. Then the chore is to find the paint that closely matches that mental picture.

Hi all I thought I would show the results of 8 hours of masking and laying candy red to the Edsel. It kind of didn't go how I thought it would after about the 3rd coat of candy I had a problem with the first layers lifting with the tapes. At first I did think that I would be able to flat out the ruff bits . But no the candy has lifted right down to the red oxide primer AAAAHHHHGG :o. Oh well back to the drawing board :(The Edsel will go in to the Dip tank for a strip & I will have another go at it . The pictures don't realy show how bad it is . Comments welcome good or bad

post-10436-0-79822800-1421698373_thumb.j

post-10436-0-95585700-1421698391_thumb.j

post-10436-0-97708000-1421698414_thumb.j

Hi Ben I was using Testors silver base then candy red over the top . I think what has happened was my own falt . I think that I rushed it between coats . The first pic shows the worst bit on the roof and the trunk . The dark spots are the acrylic red oxide primer

Thanks Keith Its ok it will be done again soon . I think that I may try a different colour next time though. Every day is a school day . Next time I will take more time to let the layers harden a bit more :P^_^

Such a great way to look at it. I have always said it seems like it takes Testors paints a long time to dry. I still use them but not as much as I once did...

• 2 weeks later...