Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone ever use Model Master Acryl Gloss Clear?

I shot some spoons yesterday and got very good results. I'm shooting with a Badger Patriot 105 with 0.5 mm needle and tip. I set my pressure at about 14-16 psi. It almost seemed to be a little too thick. Still managed to get it to spray and loved the finish.

Have any of you ever used MM gloss clear or any other acrylic clear? What about pressure, distance, multiple mist coats or heavier wet coats, etc.?

I used it on the last model I was working on and for whatever reason, it wouldn't cure out completely. I had it polished and foiled. When I went to rub it out with compound again to get rid of my fingerprints from handling it, they wouldn't come out. They were deeper than the surface and would require sanding/polishing it again. What's odd is that the clear didn't feel soft when I was polishing it. But, when I would set the body on my cutting mat for a while, it would kinda stick to it. So, I put it in the stripper and am starting over again. I liked the way it laid down and polished. It just wouldn't dry completely. It reminded me of enamel.

Roger, it sounds like an issue with whatever was under the clear. The spoons I shot are rock hard.

It was MM's Classic White. So, it wasn't the paint. The clear could have been old or just a bad batch. Whatever the issue was, it wouldn't cure out. I gave it almost a month before I stripped it. No worries now that Tamiya TS-13 is back.