Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini shelves for the modelling workbench

I work on an old computer desk. It is kept from the wall by the baseboard and stuff keeps falling behind.

Jan1715.jpg

I have stuff here and there in some wooden chests next to it. While those shallow drawers work well for brushes, rods, sheets etc. They don't work so well with paint jars.

Jan17152.jpg

Jan17153.jpg

Jan17151.jpg

I decided to make some shelves that will cure the falling behind the bench thing and will keep my jars at eye level.. I have some nice silver maple I picked up at the yard waste depot. It had fallen in a storm and was cut in short lengths. Here's where I am at with it.

Jan17154.jpg

Jan17155.jpg

That's a great looking shelving unit. I was going to suggest a 1/4 round trim molding on the back edge of your work bench. I saw a thread here once where they showed how to drill shallow holes in a board and stair step additional levels with holes for more bottles. It looks like you have the wood working thing figured out, just thought the paint bottle holder idea may help.