Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can You Id This Engine

Anybody have any idea what this engine is??

S7300513.jpg

Its been in my stash for a while and appears to be missing only the accessories ??? If it even had any?? and the headers both of which could be an easy fix if I wanted too. Seems to have been mounted in at an angle according to the glue marks on the bottom end so Maybe its a Mopar slant but it coulda been put in wrong. The green and chrome are the kit colors if that helps any. The molder on tranny ends where it is in the pic its not broken off. Anybody have any idea what this relic is and where it came from so I can check it out. Looks like it could be made into a cool custom or drag engine to me. Here a couple pics from other angles to hopefully help in its id

S7300516.jpg

S7300515.jpg

it looks to me to be a pontiac sprint 6. it was an overhead cam, 250 ci six cylinder. it was an option on the 68 and 69 firebird. it originally had a 4 barrel quadrajunk. yours looks good with the what appears to be three down draft (IDAs) webers. it would look awesome in an old style rod.

Actually, I believe that Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland has cast this engine in resin, though in 1/25 without the Weber setup.

Speaking of which, is there a side-draft Weber intake manifold for this engine in scale anywhere? I've been playing with an idea that involves a '66 Nova and a Corvette IRS...

That is for sure a Tempest OHC six cylinder from 1967 or 68. These engines were basically a Chevy 6 cylinder with an overhead cam. I saw lots of them built into great engines back in the day.

Marcus great to see you here!!You will love this forum. Seems to be more "civil" vs the other one!! :P:blink:B)

Actually, I believe that Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland has cast this engine in resin, though in 1/25 without the Weber setup.

Speaking of which, is there a side-draft Weber intake manifold for this engine in scale anywhere? I've been playing with an idea that involves a '66 Nova and a Corvette IRS...

check out revell #85 2050 '67 vette use the optional intake!!

You might want to nab an AMT 69 Firebird kit for some detail parts or even use the hot rod parts you have on the AMT engine.

RC2 has been horrible about putting anything on the outside of the box to let you know what is actually inside the box. Do you know what versions have the OHC six inside? Does the JL version with the yellow & black car on the box have it? (box doesn't mention anything) Does the blue & green "muscle cars" box with the blue car have it? (again, the box doesn't say a word about it.) I'm pretty sure the '69 Trans Am labeled version doesn't have it. Thanks for any help.

RC2 has been horrible about putting anything on the outside of the box to let you know what is actually inside the box. Do you know what versions have the OHC six inside? Does the JL version with the yellow & black car on the box have it? (box doesn't mention anything) Does the blue & green "muscle cars" box with the blue car have it? (again, the box doesn't say a word about it.) I'm pretty sure the '69 Trans Am labeled version doesn't have it. Thanks for any help.

Sorry I can't say for sure if the kits you mention have the OHC 6. Mine is a 1993 issue '1969 Pontiac Firebird 400', #6123. It has a red car on the box as well as a small picture of the T/A version on the side of the box. It also lists the OHC 6 as an option. I would think that later issue versions, after 1993, would have the parts. It was in the late 70's to early 80's that the model companies were blocking off parts of the molds and limiting peice counts.