Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nitpicking and Criticism..

10thumbs

Hi guys,

Simple question. Do you like your models to be criticized? Like;

"This and that could be different, you left this out, this could have been better, why didn't you put an inspection sticker on the windshield, no door locks showing in the interior, the left mirror is a bit too low, or....nice model and very well built and the motor looks real nice. But there's a dust particle on the camera lens. You could've done better".

Believe me, for the past year on another forum I've read this kind of stuff till it makes me sick, and wonder, is our hobby a constant competition, or are some folks just nuts and have to find something to write negatively about.

Personally, I don't care too much for a critique. Some things I'd like some help on for better ideas, but mostly, and I think most of us just want to share and maybe read some positive stuff, for sure. We all like doing our thing, and looking what others are doing too. I know myself that some things I can improve on, I do as I can, I'm sure we all do.

So, bottom line, would it irritate you if some dudes just nitpick and offer nothing else?

Michael

Please see my signature line.

I WANT to know what I could have done better. If it's a valid point, it's something to consider the next time. If it's just "I don't like the wheels", I just chalk it up to personal preference and motor on.

Now if it's someone being rude or just rivet counting, I IGNORE it. I've just been through to much in my life to let stuff like that bother me.

As they said in History of the World Part 1, first came the artist, then came the critic.

If someone comes along and tells me it looks like doodie then I'll tell him where to stick it.

However, if someone comes along and offers advice on how to make something look a little better and especially after I ask for comments/critique, then I'm all for it if they can go about it in an appropriate manner.

If someone comes along and tells me it looks like doodie then I'll tell him where to stick it.

However, if someone comes along and offers advice on how to make something look a little better and especially after I ask for comments/critique, then I'm all for it if they can go about it in an appropriate manner.

X2

When the only comment is Criticism it is not constructive, some people do mean well it just does not come acrossed that way.

Jesse, now we're talking! The "appropriate manner" is important. When it's just blunt and more of a personal preference it's irritating. When the model is good, you know it's good. I don't mean great. Models don't have to be great, but I don't like it when folks feel they have to criticize.

Still, I see here on this forum guys stating they're welcome for criticism. Not much comes up. Actually, I'm happy to see so little here.

Yes, I like constructive criticism. It makes me a look at the little details closer. It makes the difference between a good model and great model. The difference is in the details or omission of details. I think this topic has been hashed over in multiple threads. If you are posting models on here you are seeking some sort of response or gratification of your work. Obviously, your personality will dictate on how you choose to respond to constructive criticism. I look upon it as a challenge.

Everyone likes to get the "attaboys" and pats on the back, and most people don't mind the constructive criticism or helpful hints. It's the downright rude, insensitive comments that ruffle the most feathers. Me personally, if I don't have anything good to say, I just won't say anything at all.

Totally on the same page and yes I build for myself ~but~ I have got many "constructive advice" on some issues I would otherwise have not known or noticed,example I will never forget my "first" constructive comment from Ben about my exhaust on my Kenworth stating how good it looked but a shame I didn't remove the mold seam.....here it was something I would never noticed or known about until it was pointed out and the sad thing was he felt bad for pointing it out but I was forever grateful that he did and it help me to pay a bit more to detail....Lord knows I need all the help I can get....The things I hate when its jussssssssss flat out hateful n mean bashing comments...

Edited by Badluck 13

another one of these threads....

that's ok, I enjoy the nit picking about the nit picking...

anyways, lets put it in these terms, I coach, or have coached baseball, football, basketball and bowling for many years. if I coached them on everything they did RIGHT, they would never get any better. think about it.

it's not the criticism, it's how it's delivered or taken. and you can deliver or take written text many ways.

I think constructive criticism is the best kind of comment that I can get. It's the best way to get new tips and tricks or advice how to do something better. I've got lots of new ideas and good advice for my builds from constructive criticism. It's nice to hear compliments, but criticism is what teaches the best... In my opinion anyway.

I think constructive criticism is the best kind of comment that I can get. It's the best way to get new tips and tricks or advice how to do something better. I've got lots of new ideas and good advice for my builds from constructive criticism. It's nice to hear compliments, but criticism is what teaches the best... In my opinion anyway.

very well put. you learn to listen to the constructive criticism, and the rest of the bull goes in one ear and out the other. and no amount of bad criticism will keep me from posting, or they win.

Harry told me that the chrome trim was missing on my Chevy that I posted in the 'Under Glass' section. At first, I didn't bother about it, but after a few days I thought he was right, and off to the LHS I went to buy me some BMF. Having never worked with the stuff before I was quite hesitant, but started on a small piece of scrap. I tried and came to the conclusion that, although I need alot of practise, it worked really well and I absolutely loved the stuff since it makes so much of a difference in appearance. I build for myself, but that doesn't mean I don't want people to comment things like 'You could try this' or 'If you do this, it would look much better'. I've learned alot since I subscribed to this wonderful board, and that has everything to do with the great bunch of people that hang around here, both in comments and topics in the tips and tricks section. So yeah, you could say that I don't mind critisism, it gives me something to think about for the next models.

Lucas.

Here's an example. On a German model car forum, there used to be several new entries daily. The criticism was moderate. Nowadays, maybe two cars a week! The first 6 or 8 comments are what is wrong with the model. Like, "nice car..... bla bla bla. It's a shame you forgot the outside mirror".

There was no mirror in the kit. An early 60's US car had mirrors as an option, they cost money and were not SOP.

Recently, a gorgeous 56 Ford was shown. The model is very well done. The chief nitpicker: "The outside rear view mirror sits for my taste a bit too low". The guys don't ask for criticism like this, they get it whether they want it or not. Not constructive in my book.

This dude has shown 3 models since 2010! But has 4000 posts, all nitpicking.

That right there. Don't nitpick on others stuff unless you are going to put up something that is clearly better. Don't tell me my firing order is wrong if you have never wired an engine. Don't say my paint could be smoother if yours is dull and looks like you dropped it in a sandbox. I like critiques (giving and recieving) and I'm happy to share ways to do things but only if asked. Most times if it's a terrible model I just don't say anything lol

OK. Constructive criticism.

What about the other kind?

I don't care about negative comments too much, if I think it's useful I'll use it. If someone is breaking my work down, I'll let them talk, it's an internet community, probably never going to see that person face to face. I want to make friends, not enemies and if you can't take critisism there's always a button on the top right of the screen. Click it and go take the dog for a walk to calm down.

Lucas.