Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Route 66 TV show 1961 Corvette

Bob Ellis

Ironically, the Revell '60 Corvette is really a '59, despite what the bumper says. AMT called their '60 a '59, so Revell called their '59 a '60. Confusing as that is, the Skip's Fiesta is the '80s issue of the '70s version I used. The seat patterns are the key. But I swapped the '59 seats for the '62 seats and it looks like you did too Dave.

I fit the whole AMT '62 bumper, grille and valance to the Revell. I found it to be easier with less filing. I had to add some Evergreen Styrene as the AMT valance was too short along the side. I find it interesting the chrome headlight bezels molded in clear plastic even with the Skip's issue.

I rough sanded the whole bottom of the AMT interior tub to seat onto the Revell frame that also serves as a interior floor. It is a little bit of more filing to get the AMT interior sides/doors to fit as they were a little wide. I could only use the real portion of the rear trunk floor from the original kit trunk.

My biggest challenge was the issue of the wide Revell rear axle and narrow rear wheel well of the AMT Revell combo. This is a result of Revell designing a kit to use very narrow tires. Unless you have the original Revell 1959 kit with the narrow plastic tires, you have to be creative. My solution was to narrow the axle. I made new plastic axle locators with Evergreen. If I had to do it all over again, I would have replaced the rear axle and not modify the Revell one.

I used steel piano wire to hinge the trunk lid. I left the plastic Revell hood hinge as is. I was getting tired re-engineering everything.

Finally got some primer on this '61 Corvette. Just a couple places to touch up the body work.

These head lights are more to size than the later issues of the AMT '62 Corvette.

The headlights are some that I bought from JoAnn Fabrics and shaped and polished smooth.

post-11981-0-88663700-1427942403_thumb.j

post-11981-0-14475100-1427942424_thumb.j

post-11981-0-47541400-1427942434_thumb.j

post-11981-0-85302200-1427942447_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

The work you've done on this is FANTASTIC!

I did wonder why you didn't start with the Reliable Resins' 1961 Corvette.

If you don't mind me asking; is the Reliable Resin copy hard to work?

I have two of the SMP 1961 annuals, one unbuilt (good to excellent) that I was lucky enough get from Tom and Jill Carter of Hobby Heaven, back in the late 1980's

(Remember when they would send out their new listings, and then trying to get through on the phone?)

And the second one, is a partially built reclamation project, that I was given for free! 

I've always wanted to build one of these, being a fan of the TV series too, and will probably build the partially built one and use an AMT '62 for parts. SAE featured one on their cover, and the build, around the time I was watching the TV series on Nickelodeon. 

A little FIY on the TV series on DVD

I purchased a complete set of the series back in 2003,  this is before there was a studio produced set, and these were from a private seller, and although some of the episodes are poor, very poor, it was worth what I spent, because several episodes in the set were copied from the original 16mm film, and are of good quality, but more importantly, contain the original Chevrolet ads.

I don't know if the factory set that has been available a few years now, have the sponsor's ads. 

post-11981-0-19428800-1422933881_thumb.j

3route11k.8435.jpg

Been a lot of discussion lately on a couple.different threads here about the shortcomings of the AMT '62, mostly concerning the headlights and front fender contours.  The 2 above pictures show that the back end also needs some help.

Looks like the inner tail lights on the AMT are a couple scale inches too far inboard.  With all the work you've put into this body, you may want to consider correcting that if you haven't gone to paint yet.

EDIT: After posting I just realized the 1:1 pic is a '63!  Nevertheless, I think the AMT inner lights are still a bit too far inboard.

Edited by Robberbaron

• 2 weeks later...

Where was this thead a couple weeks ago when I was asking about converting an AMT '62 to a '61? Dunno how I missed this all this time.

Nice work, Bob. Have you made any further progress on it?

Snake I painted it blue like the show. Actually I built the 60,62 and 63 RT66 cars in addition