Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Pontiac Bonneville convertible

gtx6970

Yes. I foiled both the hood and trunk lettering.
The nameplate on the forward edge of the ft fenders I left. They are gold and all I had was chrome BMF.

Need to pick up some toothpicks so I can see if it worked.

Ok, re-did some details on the dash . I want to add some beading wire to the door panels to replicate the chrome trim mldgs and flocking to the int floorboards . With it being a convertible the interior has to stand tall. But so far I REALLY like how its turning out .

Comments good or bad welcome .

post-9887-0-19585200-1423608520_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-96838900-1423608539_thumb.jp

Edited by gtx6970

One trick I tried out recently for those gold scripts was, after you get the paint cleaned off of the foil, is to carefully color them over with a gold Sharpie. Just make sure that if you do it to wait until the very end of the build. Clear coating over the top of Sharpie will bleed like crazy! I did it on a '60 Chrysler New Yorker & it worked great! It will rub off with too much handling, so I did it right at the end. Steve

DSCN3509_zps8e2636d0.jpg

I think its looking great Bill. If it helps, when it comes to the chrome trim on interiors, I always BMF all the trim before painting the parts, then paint let paint dry, and clean the trim off with a tooth pick soaked in lacquer thinner. It's worked out for me even on some with really thin and shallow detail lines.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, to see the 58 Pontiac re issued .................................

Would beat the 65th reissue of the '66 Galaxie and that stupid Dog Catcher or whatnot by lightyears, no?

I just can't believe that they fail to understand that we would knock each others heads in to get things like a '58 Pontiac reissue.

Well, in fact, they failed to update their website for three Months.

Edited by Junkman

Would beat the 65th reissue of the '66 Galaxie and that stupid Dog Catcher or whatnot by lightyears, no?

I just can't believe that they fail to understand that we would knock each others heads in to get things like a '58 Pontiac reissue.

Well, in fact, they failed to update their website for three Months.

I wouldn't doubt seeing a '58 Bonneville sometime in the future. It seems to be an exceedingly popular car. I'll guarantee you it won't be a "re-issue" of the old AMT kit, but an all new tool. Might be 20 years from now, but who knows. Steve

Bill, if you want to replicate the Gold scripts without buying Gold BMF, just get some Tamiya Clear Yellow. Apply the BMF, paint it as normal, and once the scripts are revealed, paint them with some Clear Yellow, you'll have beautiful Gold scripts! I don't have any scripts painted with it, but here's a pic of the Clear yellow on some X-S Tuning rims to show how it looks.

CivicC018-vi.jpg

thanks fellas, I will try this out for sure. I tried a fine gold marker and just barely touching the emblems is not good enough . I'll try the BMF and the gold top coat next

I will be getting back to this one later this or first of next week . Need to get some alclad to try my hand on the bumpers . They had a pretty noticable mold line on the ends I couldnt live with. So I stripped them down and smothed out the flaws .

Once I have them in alclad ,,,,If I am not happy with it,,i'll box them up and send them out to be re-chromed

A small update on this one. .

I tried the bare metal foil under paint trick,,, and I am amazed it turned out this good . The emblems were almost non existant ,,,yet after a light going over with a tooth pick dipped in laquer thinner,,then just a light going over with rubbing compund , I can actually read the lettering sitting on the desk .

It sold me and may do them all this way from now on .

Still undecided on how to do the bumpers ,,,alclad spazstick or send them out for plating.

Need to pick up a polishing kit to finish out the paint work,,then the job of bare metal floil begins. I am trying to take my time on this one,,but its looks so good its making it tough to put down..

comments welcome .

front.jpg

rear.jpg

A small update on this one. .

I tried the bare metal foil under paint trick,,, and I am amazed it turned out this good . The emblems were almost non existant ,,,yet after a light going over with a tooth pick dipped in laquer thinner,,then just a light going over with rubbing compund , I can actually read the lettering sitting on the desk .

It sold me and may do them all this way from now on .

Still undecided on how to do the bumpers ,,,alclad spazstick or send them out for plating.

Need to pick up a polishing kit to finish out the paint work,,then the job of bare metal floil begins. I am trying to take my time on this one,,but its looks so good its making it tough to put down..

comments welcome .

front.jpg

rear.jpg

I will never go back to doing my scripts any other way. Even when they're this fine they can still turn out very nice! If you plan on sending out your chrome to "Chrome Tech" you'll have plenty of time to finish everything else. While they do great work, plan on not getting your parts back for at least 5 to 6 weeks! I always send out a couple of trees full, parts for about 8 kits, so I don't have to wait for every build. Steve

This project is coming along beautifully, Bill!

I've got to put in a vote for replating the bumpers and lights. Alclad and Spazstix might be OK for small pieces but are just not shiny enough, lacking the crisp reflectivity of good plating.

These pieces on my unfinished Bonneville are by Little Motor Kar Co.

58Bonne814_3-vi.jpg

58Bonne814_4-vi.jpg

58Bonne814_7-vi.jpg

John, that dash looks amazing,,,,, I will keep that trick in mind for later on.

Anyway,,,I pulled the trigger and just order resin replacements from Modelhaus today. So i'll work on polishing the paint and BMF work in the next week or so . I am so wanting this one done .

Later on when I get enough to do a full rack,,I'll send the originals out to be plated

Edited by gtx6970

Looks great, Bill! The results look like they're worth the effort!

Thanks John,

Seeing what you've built ,,,,,, I am flattered .

I noticed in the pics the red looks jagged ?????? ,,in person I dont see that ,,,must be the picture sizing I use

Its not perfect ,,, but in person its looks REEEEEEEALY good .

Making some headway. so slowly but surely.

I did get the body polished and started the bare metal foil process. THATS no fun . Theres probably 2 .5 hours of work ,,just on the one side .

right-side.jpg

Looks like you lost a vent window somewhere along the line! :o Glad to see you're still plugging away on this one. There is a bunch-o-foil, isn't there? :blink: Steve

Steve,

Part of the vent post was missing when I got it.

Once the glass is in where i have something to support it . I'll foil some thin sprue and glue it in .

Otherwise ,,,Yes there is a BUNCH of foil work to do on this thing. There's almost 2 +1/2 hours just on the side shown and its not complete. Needless to say , I am not looking forward to the other side . So I'm doing it in stages . I ' might ' have it completely foiled by the end of the week .

Edited by gtx6970