Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Nova Pro-Street FINISHED 5-8-15

am73grand

I googled slapping a big block into a first Gen Nova and it looks like the shock towers need to be moved. I'm going to try and work around that so I can keep the awesome detailed front end. For now I've got to let some glue dry.

More to come!

they dont need to be moved but notched, the top of the tower is the same but yo cut the inner side out that faces the engine and re-plate it further outboard, the cut/plate goes from the top of the tower to the bottom directly above the upper control arm mount. The engine will fit without this being done but you wont get a real set of headers on the car and changing plugs is harder than winning the powerball. Its also common to cut out the vertical rear inner panels between the firewall and the shock tower for headers to exit, It is darn near i,possible to fit a good BB header between the frame rails on a first gen nova as the rails are narrow the steering box is right in the way. I still have one of the front ends that is modified as described I may could get pictures of if you want, Ive built a few and still race a 64 nova.

Im still hunting a trumpeter hard top to make a replica of the race car.

Thank youvVery much for the info!!!! Yes pictures would be VERY helpful as I'm getting ready to start on the engine bay.

I'll try to get some good ones in the morning, anything else want pics of?

Ill go pillage my photobucket to see if I have any on there before we put the new front end on it

EDIT: everything on there is when we switched front ends and power adders, Ill get some tomorrow.

Edited by turbo nova

Thank's Ron for the tip on the super glue and baking soda. May have to give it a try. Do you mix the super glue and baking soda together and then use it?

I apply the superglue and then while it's still wet sprinkle the baking soda on the glue. It hardens instantly and forms a really strong bond.

I finally have some progress to show on this one. Here's my engine. I've still got to add plug wires, the idler pulley for the blower belt and an alternator. I've also got to add the starter with it's wiring and the shifter cable. I will be detailing the chassis on this one.

QlNFGwFiKGKkEPCO6YPXG-vi.jpg

Here's the bare front subframe, modded to fit the big block and turbo 400. Notice I also filled all the grooves in to make it look better.

KOyO7kP0UmcC__ts-vi.jpg

Here's the engine mocked up in the car. I only had to remove some molded in bumps from the inner fenders to get the big block exhaust manifolds to work. Headers would have been a nightmare.

1i_oJb9rgRJlomI2_o_2tHtSrbEJPd-vi.jpg

And here's the trunk mocked up. I've still got room for the nitrous bottles (Which have not arrived yet). It will be full but should look pretty cool.

EPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEPEP-vi.jpg

as always thanks for looking!!!

Spent some time on this tonight. I got the idler pulley installed in the front of the blower.

Did something new tonight. I added a shifter cable to the tranny. I'll add the speedo cable, dip stick and cooling lines later. I have a seperate tranny cooler I'll be using.

78dZEeRm0z_i_Rc0n57fqwvIGu-vi.jpg

I also lengthened the package tray:

yR8OOApD9xyq_imMCkINm_1Cv5S4nv-vi.jpg

And I mocked up the wheels and tires. I know they're not very 80's but they do look good under there:

5_tCPLUETnHFe5faTo9GADnziaOAFs-vi.jpg

I may use aluminum wheels........not sure yet. We'll see.

Thanks for looking.

Got a lot more done on this. The chassis pan is painted top and bottom. This shot shows the overall blue I'll be using on this:

S1vGZbESQuqTs-vi.jpg

The engine is shaping up nicely as well. Not sure if I'll use this hat or a bigger one......

F4S-vi.jpg

I also started roughing in the hole in the hood. Again I may go with a bigger hat.......

AR7EFhRBp8fLDnU3Q3uZtFG-vi.jpg

I also got my sub frame connectors built. My next project is roughing in the door shells and jambs. Interior will be all black just like Dobbertins car. I'm going to add a simple hoop roll bar. No cage........a lot of cars from the 80's didn't even have a hoop!

As always thanks for looking!