Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988ish Paystar 5000 (small update 10-4-15)

Sam,

What you have done thus far looks really good. And I agree with terry about the Paystar being over looked asa heavy hauler. I like them and have a few in my stash and the rebuild box to do. And I will be going back to this thread often when I do those builds.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator! I have really enjoyed this build, this kit has gone together very easy with no real issues and the detail is fairly decent. Looking forward to see your paystar!

Great work so far. Very nice weathering.

Your only allowed so much room on the forums servers. Setup a photobucket or fotki account. Then you can pretty much post pics to your content.

So you can only post a certain amount and that's it? I only have 18kb to post whether its on my own topic or someone else's, how is that?

ran into a problem that i need some help on. i got ahead of myself and glued the front wheels on....with ca glue......and epoxy, yeah they arent going anywhere! the front wheels stick out too far and i was wanting somesuggestions on how to remedy this. i think im gonna make some fender flares, but what else?

IMG_20150511_174135167-vi.jpg

IMG_20150511_174142145-vi.jpg

I had this same problem on a DM800 with the same wheels. I removed the front axle and cut some out of the center and re-installed it.

Geez! you said cut and referred to redoing something....ooooohhhh NNOOOOOOO!!!!!! Just pickin Terry! i thought of that, but i reallly really really dont want to, but that may be the end result. i thought about just posing it with the wheels turned so you wont notice it too much.

Geez! you said cut and referred to redoing something....ooooohhhh NNOOOOOOO!!!!!! Just pickin Terry! i thought of that, but i reallly really really dont want to, but that may be the end result. i thought about just posing it with the wheels turned so you wont notice it too much.

If its a clean enough cut, you can hide it pretty easily. I understand not wanting to do it, but the gremlins in your head will keep reminding you thats its not quite right.

I would not try and shorten the axle. You are left with all kind of tie rod and steering rod problems. I would work to get the tires off. The good news is ca is brittle and sometimes it breaks easily. If you get the tires off I would hollow out the center of the tires with a dremel tool. If these tires are like the old RNK tires, I think they are actually identical, there is rim detail on the back of the tire. If you grind out the tire to that diameter it will leave an edge for the wheel to sit on and you can shim out from the steering back plate to get the tire clearance closer to where you want it. The problem becomes steering rod and brake can clearance. Wide tires are always a problem.

Warren

I would not try and shorten the axle. You are left with all kind of tie rod and steering rod problems. I would work to get the tires off. The good news is ca is brittle and sometimes it breaks easily. If you get the tires off I would hollow out the center of the tires with a dremel tool. If these tires are like the old RNK tires, I think they are actually identical, there is rim detail on the back of the tire. If you grind out the tire to that diameter it will leave an edge for the wheel to sit on and you can shim out from the steering back plate to get the tire clearance closer to where you want it. The problem becomes steering rod and brake can clearance. Wide tires are always a problem.

Warren

This would have been my first suggestion, but he epoxied them on. There not coming off without something breaking.

Yes, the epoxy is a thorn in my side, wish I never bought the stuff now! I may have room to get a saw between the backing plate and the wheel, but yes, like Warren said, if I move the wheel in then there will be clearance issues. Oh well you live and learn...this is definitely a learning experience on this one!

Thanks for the help fellas, I really appreciate it!

got my little issue with the front axle width smoothed out. i ended up removing the wheels and cutting out the centers, then modifying a brake drum to space out the wheels like i wanted. unfortunately i broke the drivers side knuckle off, but no big deal cuz its probably stronger now that theres some metal holding the steering together instead of plastic. also got the doors hinged... heres what i came up with.

paystar49-vi.jpg

paystar50-vi.jpg

paystar51-vi.jpg

paystar52-vi.jpg

paystar53-vi.jpg

paystar54-vi.jpg

paystar55-vi.jpg