Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Nomad, Cannonball 2015 entry.

Petetrucker07

Figured I go ahead and do a build thread on my entry this year. It's a 56 Nomad with NASCAR suspension and a Ross Gibson twin turbo small block. I'm gonna use the front and rear section of the NASCAR chassis. First off to start I'm gonna fit the rear section. I had to open the wheel wells by about .125.

20150301_145238_zpsnhpje7n6.jpg

Nice start and hope to see more of the build.

Michael

Thanks man. It's taken me a few months to get over the anxiety I guess to get started on this. This is by far, the most involved build I've ever done. I started with a big pile of parts.

This was about a month ago, I got a headache lookin at it all.

20150214_212255_zpsrgccklfl.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Did a little more cuttin. I got the rear bumper mount section graphed onto the NASCAR rear section. I'm gonna do a bit of sheet styrene work to make a fuel cell. For interior I'm torn if I'll make a false floor that hinges or if I'll leave solid. I'd like to do some fuel work, but has to be hidden. The while sleeper thing. That's what's makin this build so difficult.

20150301_181814_zpszlpm5cwv.jpg

The last thing I wanted to get to tonight is the engine. I started sanding and squaring up the surfaces. I got the block together, oil pan, heads and water pump assembly. The intake is put together, intake runners, throttle body and intake are glued. The tranny halves are also ready to get a bath in Westleys. After 24 hours or so I'll get some primer on the pieces.

20150301_201559_zpsmf32qtuz.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Thanks Bill and John

Since u have the day off I thought I'd get some work on this done. Test fitting the rear end I discovered it to be way too wide. I narrowed the rear end by about 1/16", and shaved the hubs down on the Pegasus rims.

20150302_085219-1_zpsyliwn8pd.jpg

I drilled the rear end and put an axle pin in to help indicate it all together.

20150302_085302-1_zps0zf2nuu9.jpg

20150302_085352-1_zps59blgqbe.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's only been 4 months. I pulled this back out onto the bench. I got the the suspension squared away for the most part. Mocked up the rims and tires, then set the body on. It's sittin just how I want. Next up, I'm gonna tackle the interior.

20150701_215342_zpsrgtpavef.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

• 1 month later...