Model Cars Magazine Forum

1927 American LaFrance Fire Engine

hooknladderno1

As an ongoing project of trying to reproduce my hometown's fire apparatus in miniature, I wanted to do our 1927 American LaFrance pumper. Only a few photographs exist of the original truck

RFD_No4.jpg

I began with a Yat Ming 1/24 diecast.

YM1927ALF.jpg

I began by removing the tampo printed "gold leaf" lettering that the vehicle came with.

picsay-1362853299.jpg

This was replaced with more appropriate custom designed "gold leaf lettering and numbers...

picsay-1362853066.jpg

RFC1927ALF_03.jpg

picsay-1362853538.jpg

RFC1927ALF_04.jpg

RFC1927ALF_02.jpg

Chromed fittings and nozzles were repainted a more realistic brass color. Hose was washed with a brownish/yellow. The technique was applied a little too heavily and will be removed and re-applied more subtly...

RFC1927ALF_05.jpg

The fill tube just behind the tank will also be removed, as well as some of the "gold leaf" embellishment on the rig, as it did not exist on the 1:1 truck. I may also paint the rims to more closely resemble the real truck.

RFC1927ALF_06.jpg

Still lots more work to do! Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Very nice project, Maybe a joint on how you got the lettering off?

greg

Thanks for the kind words! Greg, I used non-acetone nail polish remover on a Q-tip. Work slowly and patiently and it usually works well. Interesting note, the wheels are plastic. I tried several substances including the nail polish remover, and non was able to remove the tampo printing on the wheels. We had both a 1922 and 1927 American LaFrances. Both were delivered with very plain wheels. Later photos of the '27 show it with silver painted rims. As I was unable to remove the wheels, I mixed up a color as close to the body color and just painted over the"gold leaf" on the wheels.

Here are a few updated photos after removing the fill pipe, rear angle irons, and painting the wheels... *Note - the top hard suction hose will be glued down, as well as having leather straps fabricated to resemble the original truck.

1425536128_20150305_010823-picsay.jpg

1425536005_20150305_010808-picsay.jpg

1425535881_20150305_010751-picsay.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...