Model Cars Magazine Forum

ford t bird dragster

Did you stir the paint up? That looks like it's mostly carrier with very little pigment in it.

Use a toothpick, stir in all the pigments (the thick stuff at the bottom of the jar) then give the whole bottle a good shake just to make sure it's mixed properly.

And since it doesn't look like you've used any primer you might want to wash the parts with warm water and a bit of soap.

Get a cheap can of spray paint from Wal Mart, primer to start and find a piece of scrap plastic or something to try it on. That way if you don't have the feel for it yet this will give you some practice until you get the "feel" for using the spray. After awhile you'll get it and if you feel comfortable then try it on a model and see what happens!!!

Best of luck and can't wait to see how you progress!! Welcome to the hobby!!!!!!!

Thanks i went to a show and saw a ton of really scale looking models and i was just like yep gotta do it wanna do a scale,dirt late model at some point but thats a long way off so where do yiu guys get the better looking tires just wobdering the ones in this kit are just bleh

Testors paint is pretty soft so it doesn't take much to remove it. If you have a Dollar Tree near you pick to a plastic container deep enough to put the body in and then get a few bottles of the LA's Totally Awesome cleaner. Soak the body over night and then use an old toothbrush and running water to remove the paint, it may take a couple soakings to get it all.

I use brake fluid. Immerse the part on a bowl and soak it with this fluid and then clean it with soap and water and let dry.

Break cleaner will eat the pastic.

If you do go with that idea it's best to spray the model with cleaner and immediately wash it off. Might want to do that outside; in a corner of the backyard that you don't care about, as the break cleaner will kill the grass. Toxic stuff.

Purple Power (from Walmart) is suppossed to be a good stripper too. It can mess up resin from what I understand; not that it's an issue for the T-bird.

Break cleaner will eat the pastic.

If you do go with that idea it's best to spray the model with cleaner and immediately wash it off. Might want to do that outside; in a corner of the backyard that you don't care about, as the break cleaner will kill the grass. Toxic stuff.

Purple Power (from Walmart) is suppossed to be a good stripper too. It can mess up resin from what I understand; not that it's an issue for the T-bird.

Brake cleaner and brake fluid are different things. Yes, the cleaner in the spray cans will eat the body but the fluid like you put in the master cylinder works great for harder paints like Tamiya or auto body touch up paint. It's fine for plastic but will ruin resin.

yes i am im 18 this is only like the fourth model i have done in in other news something i learned today is roll cages should be painted before you put them together other wise it is hard to paint them i will post pictures later today thanks for all the help guys

Brake cleaner and brake fluid are different things. Yes, the cleaner in the spray cans will eat the body but the fluid like you put in the master cylinder works great for harder paints like Tamiya or auto body touch up paint. It's fine for plastic but will ruin resin.

When this topic comes up someone always suggests 'break cleaner' specifically so I figured I should mention this.

Don't think I've heard any one suggest 'break fluid' before. Learned something. :D

I would advise against painting them first, the attachment points are so small you need a good plastic to plastic bond to keep them together.

what i meant is assemble the cage before putting it on the chassis paint them then connect them to the chassis so you can turn the cage anyway you need to to paint it with out the chassis getting in the way