Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing Vs Overboard

I'm trying to get back in to building after a long (very long) time away. I can't help to admire all the detail work in most everything I see built - be it here on the forum or in the magizines. How and when do you guys decide when to go overboard in detailing?

I'm trying to get back in to building after a long (very long) time away. I can't help to admire all the detail work in most everything I see built - be it here on the forum or in the magizines. How and when do you guys decide when to go overboard in detailing?

I believe that to be your own motives on what you are trying to get out of the build. I'm guilty of going overboard on everything but I just can't help myself. You have to ask yourself if you are building it to win a contest or just fulfill a personel need to add extra detail. Sometimes I build something just to learn a new trick. You have asked a very subjective question that has no right answer. It's still whatever trips your trigger. You're building for yourself. Remember that first and you will detail it how you see fit.

Above all, just enjoy the process of the build.

How and when do you guys decide when to go overboard in detailing?

I've seen a lot of models where the builder has gone to a lot of trouble adding every possible line, clamp, fitting and bolt...usually on race car models. But despite the builder's effort, the model looks like a model, not a real car. That's because so many of the details on a 1:1 car can't be very easily reproduced in scale. In fact, a lot of the smaller details on a full-sized car would be so tiny on a 1/25 scale model that they'd be almost invisible. And adding too much oversized, out-of-scale "details" is a common mistake lots of guys make.

Like a famous someone or other said..."less is more".

You know the answer to that question. Think about it a minute. Ask yourself what you want from your modeling time. Just killing time? Relaxation? Do you want quality or quantity from your collection? Do you take pride in showing your creations to others? Will you be entering a “judged†contest? Most importantly, to what level are your skills honed to and how much money do you want to invest in a model build? When you answer these questions for yourself, you will have an idea of what level of detail you want and are capable of.

Not every model I build has the same level of detail. I break my builds down into three sub categories and I tend to work on at least one build from each category at all times. 1. The short fairly quick build which does not get a lot of extra detail work. This build is relaxing and is not a subject that I think is worthy of a lot of time, money and sweat. An example of this is a relatively stock build with the “standard†engine detail and nice paint. 2. This is the mid-level build that may get some operating features, more engine detailing, more time invested and/or special paint (two tone, flames, etc…) 3. The long term heavily modified build. This build gets as many bells and whistles as I can come up with. There is no time limit and usually this will get the aftermarket dollars spent on it.

This is my approach.

I have noticed how everyone here tends to take a different road. Some guys go all out, all the time. Some guys take it easy. The point is that you can decide for yourself, and not everything you build must be at the same level of detail, unless that is what you want. Most importantly remember there are no rules to model building. Life is full of rules. Build what you want, build it to the level of detail you want. Push yourself to improve with each build, only if you want to. Answer the questions I asked up front for yourself. Once done, you should have an idea of where you want to go. Once you know where you want to go, it will be a whole lot easier to get there. Overall, remember that for most of us, model building is a hobby, and therefore it is relaxation and therapy. Don’t make yourself nuts.

Personally, when I come from my club meetings or from model shows and events, that's when it hits me, I just get inspired to the point where I just want to do something special. I see it like a good boxer, I will get the knock out when the opportunity comes. I don't concentrate on winning contests or anything like that but I have had some luck just adding my little details here and there and having a fair chance at winning a trophy at the tables. To me, cleanliness and good painting is the key to winning. Other times, I just put a curbside together just so that I don't get burned out when attacking my next big project!!! :D:o

I've seen a lot of models where the builder has gone to a lot of trouble adding every possible line, clamp, fitting and bolt...usually on race car models. But despite the builder's effort, the model looks like a model, not a real car. That's because so many of the details on a 1:1 car can't be very easily reproduced in scale. In fact, a lot of the smaller details on a full-sized car would be so tiny on a 1/25 scale model that they'd be almost invisible. And adding too much oversized, out-of-scale "details" is a common mistake lots of guys make.

Sorry Harry but sometimes "more is more" and it turns out just fine.

I know it's bigger than 1/25th but lets not disuade people from their overindulgences.

engineoverhead-vi.jpg

Yeah, that's a very subjective thing! It may depend on the car and/or era that I'm building. Newer modern cars have so many hoses and wires that it would be a total burnout for me to try and do everything.

Cars out of the '50-'60's I like detailing because the wiring isn't overwhelming and can make for impressive engine bay detailing so it won't seem so "empty". Those that know me have seen where I've run the gamut..............from all out superdetail, to nice curbside displayers. :(

I'm not necessarily building for shows anymore.................if one turns up that I'm interested in, I may enter it------but I don't build specifically for a particular show.

Jim, I've always LOVED that Grand Sport Corvette of yours! It's good to see that one again! I agree with you in this case that "more is definitely more"! ;)

engineoverhead-vi.jpg

I build model cars as one of my several hobbies. To me, a hobby is something that I do with my hands to relax in my spare time. My building skills are limited, so "detail", to me, is just adding plug wires and maybe fuel lines. Heck, I don't even worry about getting the firing order right. I find it much easier, at my level, to come up with a nice paint job, so that's where I spend most of my effort. That being said, I really appreciate the super detailed models shown here. Gives me something to shoot for.

Everything I build is a contest car, so that narrows down my building style a little. That doesn't mean that I detail out everything and cram it to the max with PE and scratch built parts. I strive for an overall balance in the build. Why go overboard on the engine detail if the interior is on the blah side? Who really cares if I have brake lines running to non-existent wheel cylinders? Not me.

I try to make it interesting enough without having a project that I wind up hating, which I have had more than a few of. I try to build in multi-dimensional details that are easy to do. I like to see an engine compartment fluffed out with wires and hoses. Detailing up the battery is a nice touch. Make up a shifter boot out of styrene stock, swipe a bunch of straight pins out of the wife's sewing box to make radiator caps.

Bob

Let's see you do that in 1/25 scale!

Is this good enough for you? ;)

Scracthbuilt:

four link suspesion, drive shaft, oil pan, trans pan, Dana cover plate, valve covers, exhaust system, electric water pump, fuel control system and plumbing, All decals

Be careful who you ask that question of :(

FinishedModel-vi.jpg

Thanks to all of you that replied. I agree, I am the only one that can determine when and what to detail and how much. Not that I have detailing down pat mind you but as I said, I can not get over the detail work that you guys can do.

Kudos to you all!

What he said!

banjo.jpg

I guess I make mistakes all the time then!!! Funny you mention in particular "Race cars"....... I have seen all kinds of out of scale parts on all kinds of cars....

One out of scale Pontiac 2003 Nascar Engine... :)

P1010096-vi.jpg

To each his own OPINION... its your model whether you build it to compete, self satisfaction, or hear others go WOW..... its all about PURE model enjoyment..... I build to all kinds of levels... Stock to extreme... its all how I plan to do that particular car... its the kind of modeler I am.... But like Mr Drew pointed out.... Detailing can become a sickness... you see a car, study it, become consumed by it and want to reproduce it in fine detail... whether its 1:12 or 1:25th... it can be done...

Just my 2 cents and I dont express it often on this board but the negativity towards superdetailing in particular NASCAR subjects gets a little old..........

Flame away.......

DaveT

I am more drawn into it than decide.

I figure well if I just fix this and add this and do this it will look a whole lot better, but then I need to this and this, but then I need to get this PE set, this decal set, and these five other bits, but now that I have done all that I might as well go all the way and do this, cast that, scratch build these. At this point I might as well do the other 10% left and go all the way.

Sometimes... If I could just leave well enough alone and build it OOB, but I can't seem to do that.

Robert Browning first wrote it in a 1855 poem Andrea del Sarto a real life painter who lived in 15th century said "less is more" when addressing Lucrezia, his adulterated wife, who he left aside for something more important.

You know the answer to that question. Think about it a minute. Ask yourself what you want from your modeling time. Just killing time? Relaxation? Do you want quality or quantity from your collection? Do you take pride in showing your creations to others? Will you be entering a “judged†contest? Most importantly, to what level are your skills honed to and how much money do you want to invest in a model build? When you answer these questions for yourself, you will have an idea of what level of detail you want and are capable of.

Not every model I build has the same level of detail. I break my builds down into three sub categories and I tend to work on at least one build from each category at all times. 1. The short fairly quick build which does not get a lot of extra detail work. This build is relaxing and is not a subject that I think is worthy of a lot of time, money and sweat. An example of this is a relatively stock build with the “standard†engine detail and nice paint. 2. This is the mid-level build that may get some operating features, more engine detailing, more time invested and/or special paint (two tone, flames, etc…) 3. The long term heavily modified build. This build gets as many bells and whistles as I can come up with. There is no time limit and usually this will get the aftermarket dollars spent on it.

This is my approach.

I have noticed how everyone here tends to take a different road. Some guys go all out, all the time. Some guys take it easy. The point is that you can decide for yourself, and not everything you build must be at the same level of detail, unless that is what you want. Most importantly remember there are no rules to model building. Life is full of rules. Build what you want, build it to the level of detail you want. Push yourself to improve with each build, only if you want to. Answer the questions I asked up front for yourself. Once done, you should have an idea of where you want to go. Once you know where you want to go, it will be a whole lot easier to get there. Overall, remember that for most of us, model building is a hobby, and therefore it is relaxation and therapy. Don’t make yourself nuts.

Yup, this probably good words to live by, or at least model build by.

Someone else said it, but it's accurate, "It's something I do to relax, tinker around and keep busy and hey if I happen to build a model in the process all the more better."

Edited by CAL