Model Cars Magazine Forum

"New" AMT '57 Chevy

Joe Handley

this was a bit of suprise to me to see this one re-issued! there must be a certain "nostalgic" appeal to this kit still to this day that makes folks want to have it again, i can't see any other explanation. it's definitely a fun kit to build and it does have some cool options that few modern kits have these days. it's not a very detailed kit though and in some areas is pretty crude.

i'm very curious if there is an interest in the "new tool" AMT '57 Chevy kit being re-issued in the street machine version.

Dave

I guess Round2 in their great wisdom needed an answer to the Black widow. They don't seem to be doing much new, but '57 Chevies are very popular.

Gary

I guess Round2 in their great wisdom needed an answer to the Black widow. They don't seem to be doing much new, but '57 Chevies are very popular.

Gary

They should have done the 90's tooling '57 then, it's much, much nicer than the old tooling '57. Only real downside is that it doesn't have the old school kustom goodies in it like the old kit does and I'm acutually debating with my self about buying it because of those parts!

the "new tool" AMT '57 Chevy kit is massively better than the 60's tooling kit that was just re-issued. the hang-up here though is that like mentioned it doesn't have any optional parts, you can only build it stock, or build the later street machine version. the 60's tooling kit is full of alot of neat little parts and is somewhat of a throwback to simpler times and that fun of building when you were a kid. a cool real 3-n-1 style kit that gives you stock, drag and custom building options.

what makes the "new tool" kit better is the detail and accuracy that kit has over any and all previous '57 Chevy kits. i still think it's even a better kit than Revell's recent Black Widow. personally i don't think there will ever be a better '57 Chevy kit than the 90's "new tool" version.

Dave

yup i got the new tool S/M version i think the coca cola kit was also a new tool car

Well this blows, I just bought that kit and it is the old issue, but without all the kustom, race and hot rod goodies :angry:

Are you kidding me? Round 2 didn't put all the extra goodies in the kit? That doesn't seem right. How about the '55 Nomad kit, is all the extra goodies gone as well? Anybody get one yet?

with Revell coming out with a 1957 Bel-Air kit I can understand AMT wanting to get a kit out there. but its not good that AMT did'nt give there best effort. The old tool 57 Bel-Air with no custom parts is a huge disapointment. maybe the "new" AMT should have invested some new custom in the new tool 57 Bel-Air kit to better compete with the Revell one

with Revell coming out with a 1957 Bel-Air kit I can understand AMT wanting to get a kit out there. but its not good that AMT did'nt give there best effort. The old tool 57 Bel-Air with no custom parts is a huge disapointment. maybe the "new" AMT should have invested some new custom in the new tool 57 Bel-Air kit to better compete with the Revell one

:lol::lol::lol:

Dang it gasman, I was thinking the same thing last night after discovering what this kit didn't have :lol:

Well this blows, I just bought that kit and it is the old issue, but without all the kustom, race and hot rod goodies :o

If it's the current kit molded in color (blue I think) It's been packaged for beginers to be sold primarily to the mass market retailers. All the kits in this series are molded colors and have minimal parts. You can go to Round2's website and see all 10 AMT kits in this series.

On the other side of the coin, Round 2 is bringing back kits like the 62 Buick Electra with restored parts and all the gates opened up being marketed to us hardcore modelers.

Although your dissapointed with this kits contents, it's the profits from the mass market kits that will pay the way for the better kits to come.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

even if that kit is intended for the "mass market" it still should have retained the same parts content it's had for well over 30 years.

how many people are going to buy it thinking it's got all those parts to be disappointed? bad move on Round2's part, very bad move regardless of the market it was intended for.

Dave

I don't agree with the decision but the way I heard it they wanted to simplify the kits for the beginners. Same reason for molded in color as no paint required. I guess this is their way to bring in new modelers with some easy to build kits. It's certainly a good point that they may actually loose some sales from the adult builders who would be disappointed with the contents. I personally usually pass on any molded in bright color kits unless I can't get the subject matter any other way.

Only time will tell if this was a successful move for them overall. If in the end we get some great subject matter out of Round 2 it will be worth it. Lets see what announcements are made next month at I-Hobby Expo.

-Steve

John Greczula posted a response to some similar comments on the current 57 Chevy kit made over at the Spotlight Hobbies board. Here's his reply;

" This has been discussed a few times now. The kits with a reduced parts count are meant to compete with the single-version Revell kits that are available in mass retail locations. Thus, they are "build one way" kits for the most part. We're molding them in color for the beginners and/or casual adult modeler who may not wish to paint the bodies.

It is our intention to release certain kits in the mass market line in the hobby kit line, in the future and over time - with a presentation and format that appeals to the hobby market.

I'd rather not engage in a large philosophical discussion about what we did and why, as we really didn't expect the hobby market sector to buy these kits, knowing they were aimed at a different market altogether.

In short, we're still in the early stages of working with the AMT and MPC brands. Our game plan may change in the future, or maybe not. I can only tell you we're trying our best and will adjust accordingly as the hard facts and figures come in.

Now, if you folks want to see the Double Dragster by December, I need to get back to work! ;0) "

Here's a link to the actual posting,

AMT 57 Chevy re-issue

I hope at least the clears up the speculation over them.

-Steve